Where to purchase modest dwelling 30-minutes from major University

dharma.wheel

I don't thing there are trolls, however I think a lot of the misunderstandings on this thread are due to the UK and the USA being 'divided by a common language'. I have often joked that I do better in France where I know my language skills are lacking and make more effort, than I am in the USA where I tend to think 'its Ok they speak English'

Written down, thus losing the nuances of a facial expression or body posture, these things can be even more difficult.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In Internet slang, a troll (/ˈtroʊl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion,often for their own amusement.

The post in question starts

"I have skimmed the contents of this thread, mainly to get informed about the French education system, as I know zilch about it. So, please do not depend on me for anything to do with French education establishments."

And then we get the rest. Nothing to do with the IP's question, fairly fits the Troll picture for me and nothing to do with misunderstanding the initial question.

Lehaut, you and I have been on this forum long enough to know that troll-like behaviour is not something that marks the vast majority of Mint's posts. In fact IMO, most of the post you are mentioning is concerned with raising serious questions about the OP's reasons for moving to France. It seems legitimate to me to highlight these concerns because it did seem to be a big decision made without much uptodate knowledge.

I do not consider name calling to be helpful in this context and would kindly ask you to move on

Indeed, do remove it, RH.

But I can say, hand on heart, that I was not trolling if it means what Lehaut says.  Me, I only use the forum here and do not belong to any other forum or take part in any other internet debate.

I prefaced my post by saying I know nothing about French education because I like "setting out my stall", giving a bit of background, and I particularly dislike making out that I know more about things than I actually do.  In fact, many of my posts do start with some background which is given to enable people to make replies that are useful.

I knew nothing about DW other than what she posted so I took care to say that her information, such as it was, was not "current".  So...........nothing toll-like about using the word "current" to mean "of today" and therefore perhaps "relevant", is there?

I do NOT like making personal digs and it is precisely for that reason that I use the "passive" instead of the "active" voice and I hope that I never point my finger and say to anyone, you are crazy, nuts, out of your mind, etc.  Except in joke of course, say with Woolybanana.

Had I known what a storm of protest I would provoke, I'd not have bothered posting.  As it was, my post was a long way into the thread and  behind others.

I was totally responsible for what I say but I can't be held responsible for how my message was perceived.  The road to hell is paved with good intentions, etc.  I merely wanted the poster to think more about what she was doing.

Thank you, mods, Rabbie and RH, for voicing your opinion that I was not a troll[:)]

We never thought you were trolling, Nimt. In fact someone close to me did wonder whether there havent been a couple of genuine trolls recently, probably mountain trolls though, but all seeming to come from "across the pond".

As to this particular thread, well, the OP seems to have all the theory on board but little recent boots on the ground time. I wonder how the French will react if she reminds them that the US came to their rescue in both the 1 and 2 WWs, that even their boots were American. Hmmmm

As for defending that tennis player, well, I guess it is all a question of standards.

Some threads do get scratchy from time to time - guess that is life using a forum.

Meanwhile, I am off to Calais Frethun to fetch Schhh You Know Who! Makes a change from bringing a car every time.