Help! Disappearing roofer.

Please can anyone advise how to tackle the problem we have with our roofer - a registered french artisan. We have a second home in Aigre, Charente. We accepted a quote for barn roof paid him 30%deposit and when we were at the house last October he came to see us and said he was going to start on the following Monday and it should take 2 to3 weeks to complete- so we paid him the next 30% for the commencement of  work. Since then he has constantly moved the end date - first it was going to be finished by the end of November then the end of December. His last excuse back in mid -December was that he was waiting for the tiles but should be finished by end of December. We have just (yesterday) got back from a week in France. Needless to say he has done precious little - just a fraction of the carpentry work required and no tiles. His ladder and hoist are at the house but no sign of him all week. My wife did phone and left a message on his answer machine asking for him to come and see us - however no show . He is now holding up other projects. He does not always response to our E Mails which is how we correspond with him. We just want the barn roof finished and made safe. We have paid him a lot of money which we cannot afford to loose. My wife only speaks limited french learnt at school many years ago and I have only just started learning.  Does anyone have any suggestions as to next steps to take?

Unfortunately builders not showing up is normal in France, (and the UK) we lost nearly two full years due to one artisan delaying another on our project, but be encouraged by the fact he has started and left equipment etc on site.

Try e-mailing him again telling him exactly when you will be visiting next and that he must be finished by then; follow this up with phone calls until you actually speak to him direct. Is there anyone who can keep an eye on the place and give you progress reports?

Is he based in the same commune as you, if so how well do you get on with the Mairie as this may well be a way to spur him on but I would give it another month or so before going down this route as he may well be genuinely waiting for the tiles?

If he does not respond to your e-mails and has not completed the work by your next visit then the only option is to camp out on his doorstep until you can talk face to face.

Thanks- but how do they get away with it? He is not in the same commune as us. Our keyholder who checks on the place every couple of weeks and drives by regularly to observe any progress suggested that his maire might be the best person to contact in the first instance however we don't want to upset the roofer as he may just keep us dangling on a string for ever and a day. Is there some sort of governing body for these registered artisans that we could approach as a last resort? Does anyone else have any suggestions of a way of dealing with this situation? - Its obvious people have had the same experiences but we don't know how they have resolved them, so anymore comments/suggestions would be gratefully received as the stress is causing my wifes hair to go  rapidly grey and mine to fall out!

In France it is the norm for unsatisfied customers to write a letter (not an e.mail) and send it to the artisan by registered post stating the grievance and what they wish to do. You should also state that unless he starts the work immediately and finishes within a reasonable time,weather allowing,you will take the matter up with a complaint to a solicitor and to the local mairie. The Chambre de Metiers will not be interested in anything like this. You could also mention that because no work has been finished, he has obtained money falsely and you will report him to the local gendarmerie to investigate.

I understand your frustration and while I agree you are right to be upset with guy I guess its pretty tempting for him to look after the client who is actually there, rather than the owner of a second home. I know it shouldn't be an issue, but that's human nature.

I seem to remember forum member Dick Smith having a similar problem getting an artisan to turn up, but all was well in the end.

I think you have to give him the dates you are there next and say that unless work is completed by then you will sadly be forced to take steps to get your money back and look for another tradesman.(in writing, and by a signed for service)

Good Luck

The ‘Registered Letter’ is obviously the first step in the legal process but as he has been on site and there was no sign of the tiles I would give him the benefit of the doubt and adopt the e-mail and phone call approach first, as you say you do not want to upset him. Builders are notoriously un-communicative and he may find the added language barrier difficult, as 'Russethouse' said he may also be under pressure to service his regular local clients and could be embarrassed about the situation hence his non-appearance during your visit.

If you still can’t get a response I would suggest you give it a couple of weeks and if there is no sign of activity by then a letter may be the next step.

Thanks for the suggestions - I think we'll try one more polite  EMail first. - Moulin-  he  should be more than embarrassed - as a tradesman in the UK I would never treat a client as he has treated us -ie totally unprofessionally. 

We had a local builder to renovate the facade of our previous house, He took his time, plenty of it, a day or two at a time, the thing that got him going was that we told him our family was coming to stay at the end of the month. Next day all hell broke loose. Job finished in double quick time, to a high standard and our satisfaction! I don't think he wanted to lose face...

Mike W

• 3 weeks later...

Good news! - Just to let everyone know that our problem is now completely resolved- and work has recommenced. The registered letter did the trick and there was  a genuine reason for the roofers 'disappearance'.

Thanks for all the suggestions - just goes to show that we shouldn't always think the worst and things do sort themselves out.

Unfortunately i'm afraid that it happens quite often when the owner are not on the spot and that no-one follow-up the works...
Another main point you should tell him that it will be a pitty you will do him a VERY VERY VERY BAD PUBLICITY to all the other english people on the spot! Believe me that the English audience represents a lot of business for the artisans and they are quite worry to lose them!!
May i ask you where is your house located?
Regards
Sabine