6 month sabbatical in alps with kids 5,8,10

luski

Hi,

Having loved doing a ski season pre-marriage and kids, I am considering taking my husband and 3 kids to france for oct18- april 19. I hope to get kids into french school in the alps, possibly morzine for term and half. Am I mad?

I am really confused about school years, and whether all will be in primary or one in college or one in martenelle.

To be precise, my youngest born feb 2012, middle sept 2009, eldest nov 2007 bday. 2 years apart in uk, but because of french calendar year schools I think may be 3 years and 2 years apart? Any help massively useful. All kids are very bright and my 5 yr old reads fluently in english and has just begun french lessons. My 5 yr old is in yr 1 now sept 17 and would be starting yr 2 next sept, so seems very odd that she may go back to kindergarten/martenelle?

Thanks

Sorry but Year 1 means nothing to me, my kids only went through french education and when I was at school, we had infants, primary and secondary, that was it and I know where I am with that.

You would be better with the years that your kids were born in order to get help with this as stating ages, does not help at all.

Your eldest would have been starting CM2 in September in France, that is the last year of Junior school, not secondary/or as the french say it, college.

And it is maternelle. And your 5 year old may be of an age for maternelle, or CP, need more details.

Suggest you call the Mairie or schools where you are going to see if they have places and what you need to do. Your children may end up in private schools.

6 month working holiday with free childcare, whats not to like and at that age the kids are unlikely to sue you.

Funny how its always the female partners that join the forum to open such a thread, I often wonder if the partner probably knows what is being planned for him and the children whilst he is hard at work.

Who would benefit from home schooling? Is is any less harmful for the children than putting them into a foreign language school for a short period of them which is likely to do more harm than good. Many of us have been through maintaining the balance between being a good parent and enjoying the most in life and all three of my children went on skiing holidays before they could walk. The important word there is holidays. Taking three children out of their primary schools to re-live a dream is selfish as they will not only miss out on the routine of normal life in and out of their learning environment but will lose touch with the the close relationships they have been making with their peers. If you really want to live in a ski resort plan a long term move, perhaps three years or more, one that will allow your family to settle in to their new environment and profit from the experience.

[quote user="alittlebitfrench"]I agree with B&B.

Also, you really don't want to live in a French ski resort long term. It's a hard life. I can't see any enjoyment in that. Especially with kids.

Very strange places ski resorts when you dig a little deeper.[/quote]

Digging a shallow hole through the snow is always easy. It's the rock that's more difficult.