departments / number plates

Loulou2

I read somewhere on this forum that there might now be no requirement to change the number plate of a car bought in a different department (or registered in one). The mention of this was incidental to another question so there wasn't much detail. We are considering buying a car from a neighbours daughter who visits from another area - will we need to change the plate via the prefecture. Secondly (and i really should search for this as its probably been asked many times,) the car is for my Dad who will use it when he visits his holiday place near to my permanent home - is it possible for a UK resident to buy a French car or should i buy it in my name as i have a CDS ( i can't even drive but i expect that shouldn't matter and we could insure it for Dad to drive).
Lou

LAST EDITED ON 11-Apr-04 AT 06:30 PM (GMT)

> I read somewhere on this
>forum that there might now
>be no requirement to change
>the number plate of a
>car bought in a different
>department (or registered in one).
>The mention of this was
>incidental to another question so
>there wasn't much detail.

I think this may have been one of my posts. The French system is changing whereby a car will have the same number plate for life. I believe this is being implemented from 2006. This will apply to both old and new cars, the change for older cars being made at time of controle tecnique or dept change.
here is the link to that dicussion. http://www.livingfrance.com/dcforum/DCForumID23/635.html
regards,

Paul

LAST EDITED ON 11-Apr-04 AT 10:44 PM (GMT)

I think the major expense (assuming the vehicle is already registered in France and thus does not need certificates of conformity etc) is the issue of a new carte grise. You will still need this to register the vehicle in your name, even if it is in the same departement. The cost of a carte grise depends on the CV rating of the vehicle, and seems to vary between departements. We have bought two cars in France - one was previously registered in Paris, the other in Belgium, as well as re-imported a car from the UK which had previously been registered in another French departement. In all cases new carte grises were necessary.

Anybody who has an address in France and can provide proof of identity and address should be able to register a car, though some prefectures and/or dealers still seem to want to see titre de sejour.

Will (50)

Have recently purchased a vehicle Peugeot 2 ltre HDI, we live in dept 24 the registation was carried out by the garage the total
cost 169 euroes the vehicle was classed as a 6cv for this purpose
Hope this is of interest DJ

LAST EDITED ON 24-Apr-04 AT 01:20 AM (BST)

When you buy a car you are required to renew your Carte Gris, as part of this process you will be given a new (departmental) number.
For renewal (depending on area) you do not need a CDS or utility bill etc. Just a proof of identity (a copy of your passport will do), the old Carte Gris, a Bill of Sale, and the Control Technique. (Your old Carte Gris may be stamped by the Control Technique centre - it does not even need to pass to re-register!)
Voila! 150 Euros or so (fees) and the vehicle is re-registered.
Next all you need is insurance.