Whats involved?

Greg76

Hi,

My partner and I are wanting to purchase a house in the Dordogne, and convert it into a holiday cottage. Can anyone help with what will be needed in terms of the correct permissions, regulations to adhere to etc, in order to make a favourable impression with the mayor?

We have just purchased a house in Brittany to convert into a holiday home (and to live next door) and, although it may sound obvious, the best thing to do is go and see the mayor.  We went and spoke to our mayor in very rusty french before we had even bought our property and roughly explained our plans.  He seemed very friendly and I get the impression that anything that may, potentially, bring more money into his area has his blessing.  My husband has now been back to see him again just to let him know that the sale went through and we will be moving down to the house soon.  He was very friendly and, hopefully, when it comes to the subject of planning permissions etc he will be more inclined to agree.

Nicky.

Hi there,
In fact, as Nicky said, it's essential to see the Mayor when you have bought the house.
But before to buy, you have to make sure that you will have the right to do some renovation works to convert your house or barn into a pretty gite. For that, ask the owner of the house you are interested to buy to ask for you a "Certificat d'Urbanisme" to the Mairie. It's a document in which you precise the main renovation works you plan to do later on, if you want to extend a part of the house, create news openings such has windows and doors, etc.
The Certificat d'Urbaniste has to be first validated by the Mayor, and then, to be validated by the DDE (Direction Départementale de l'Equipement).
If you don't have a positiv answer to the CU, you won't have a Planning Permission later one.
Hope it will be hepfull.
Do not hesitate to contact me if i can help to find the "house of your dream" in the Dordogne and to help you to settle here.
Kind Regards

Sabine

www.en-toutes-saisons.com

Hello

All of the above are true - and if, like us you are in a protected village in the Dordogne, the final permission has to be granted through the Architect de Batiments de France in Perigeux. We had no idea that this would be the case and were just starting roofing works - tiles just about to go on in our absence- when the work was halted - by the mayor - who himself had agreed earlier - and lengthy discussions had to start with Batiments de France. The roof looks lovely now (hand made clay tiles - tuiles plats) and we are quite a bit poorer. Still, we now know that the B de F has to be involved for us... and they are quite long winded. Hope you are either not in a protected village or not in a hurry, or not doing any expensive, contentious repairs!!! Good luck with the project - we have been really happy for over three years and now hope to spend more time in the house...

hi there,

We have only begun the preliminaries ie are going out to see a place that we believe may be suitable. Hopefully were not going to encounter any problems like that but will certainly be back to ask for advice if we go....!