high selling fees

mrsmop

Ron,

I was only talking about the area of France where I live : before the latest property boom took off (1999 - 2000) estate agents here in Brittany had far more houses on their books than clients, and were very blasé about handing over a set of keys and a vague map and sending said clients off to find the house. I know because I often used to accompany them as interpreter. These days the market has got so ridiculous that estate agencies actually employ spies to visit properties up for sale by competitors !

[quote]Ron, I was only talking about the area of France where I live : before the latest property boom took off (1999 - 2000) estate agents here in Brittany had far more houses on their books than clients, ...[/quote]

>>These days the market has got so ridiculous that estate agencies actually employ spies to visit properties up for sale by competitors !

I believe you totally about that, have you got any more details.

It wouldn't suprise me at all, baring in mind the money at stake here.

what are they looking for?

A friend working as négociatrice for an estate agency approached me and asked whether I would be willing to pose as a prospective purchaser and view properties sold by competitors, find out where they were and pass on the details. I turned the offer down, but the reason they do this is that are so many individuals chasing that elusive sale these days, they are quite prepared to “steal” properties from other agencies! 

[quote]A friend working as négociatrice for an estate agency approached me and asked whether I would be willing to pose as a prospective purchaser and view properties sold by competitors, find out where they...[/quote]

Well, I don't often stick my head above the parapet, but I really have to say that I think your friend's behaviour is appalling.  I work bl**dy hard to mandate properties for sale, and I know that these disreputable agents exist who will snatch the mandate out of your hand given half a chance.  Frankly, I would rather go hungry than use these tactics.  We have even had 'rival' agents photographing our office window displays!

If I have occasion to visit other agencies (perhaps to do an 'inter-cabinet' joint sale - with shared commission, natch ),  I scrupulously avoid, as trained, looking at the products on sale in their classeurs, so that I can't be accused of behaving dishonourably.  Sorry if that sounds a bit HTT  :sickholier than thou), but that's how I'm able to sleep at night!

The problem of course, stems partly from the fact that the seller is free to advertise anywhere they like, at no cost to them, as it is the buyer who pays the fees...

Hi everyone,

As a newbie in this field I have read with wonderment and fascination the comments and first class discussion below. On one notaire posting I found this. It appears to be the exception. I believe it states the charges, up front and transparent. Is this the case?

"Honoraires de négociation à la charge

de l'acheteur 2.862 € - 18.773 FF ."

I enter this fray for the first time in March and I will now be asking a few more questions. Thank you all.

We've bought and sold houses both in France and England, and I still prefer the French system.

We always add the fees into the total cost of the property when we're calculating whether we want the property and it doesn't hurt so much then.

Maybe we've been lucky in France but we've had 100% better service here than we ever got in the UK.  Also, I'd guess they don't have such a high turnover of properties here so their overall profits are probably on a par.

Deb

[quote]Hi everyone,As a newbie in this field I have read with wonderment and fascination the comments and first class discussion below. On one notaire posting I found this. It appears to be the exception. I ...[/quote]

No, this is not the exception Brian, what you saw is quite normal on properties advertised by Notaires.  The fee for "Honoraires de négociation à la charge de l'acheteur" is usually to a laid down scale.  Howeverr, this is not the total fees however, as legal fees and registrations and TVA are also added before the final bill is produced.

From the other posts tio this topic, it would appear that as in every "profession" there are always people who want to be greedy. 

Thank you Ron for the information. Once again this forum delivers. Since I posted the original message I have just relieved some information from an agent showing exactly their fees and answers to other issues and a very clear list of the service (hand holding) they offer all in English. Clearly service varies greatly from place to place. As a result of this forum and other research I am better equipped for my journey, no longer completely in the dark, next week.