Buying a new vehicle in France

rodders

We are planning to move permanently to France, and to enable us to get around to view properties we want to buy a Motor Home, which we will keep.  It seems logical therefore to purchase one in France so, do we have to have a permanent address in France to buy and register a new vehicle?

To buy anything new like a vehicle in France you will be asked for a utility bill to proove your french address. I know people who have got round this problem and others have asked their landlords for a bill and covering letter. I suggest you speak first to the concessionaire selling the vehicle and see what they require as you will need a french address for the Carte Grise.

If you can’t buy in France try Germany!

A colleague at work spends all his holidays touring Europe so wanted a LHD Motor home and eventually bought a second hand one in Germany, apparently they’re very popular over there giving plenty of choice and they look after there vehicles. He got a superb ‘as new’ condition 2 year old ‘van for half the price of a new one, then brought it back and registered it in the UK without any hassle. UK registration, while you are still resident here, will also solve your Insurance problems which, I imagine, will be immense in France with no fixed abode.

If you buy outside France you will have to get the vehicle tested here by the DRIRE and certain fitments may have to be changed to conform. My english friends locally bought a camper van second hand in Germany and had a lot of trouble getting it re-registered here in France because certain items did not meet french requirements,it was a Fiat model. Their son in the UK actually buys these in Germany and re-sells them from the UK if you are interested to know more details.