Insuring a French registered car as non resident

jxedwards

I have purchased a car with French plates. My question is how easy/difficult is it to insure the car as a non resident?

As we all know in the UK you can walk into a broker give car details and recieve a cover note immediately.

Is this possible in France and if so any suggestions on a company?

We intend to visit in 2 weeks and will only have 2 weeks in France and would like to insure the car immediately to enable us to use it. (At present it is garaged wuith an obliging neighbour).

The car will be left at our home for use whenever required by us on our frequent visits.

Any advice/guidance appreciated.

Regards

John

It shouldn't be a problem to insure a french car even though you are not resident. You've got an address in France? Any utility bills to prove it? You also need proof of no-claims bonus and as many year's insurance policies as you can find. The French system is different to the English and they don't accept your no-claims bonus unless you can provide the actual documents or a letter from your insurer that you've been driving for so many years without a claim.

As for which company, I'm with Direct Assurance and they are absolutely fine.

Speak to the agent that insures your house. I arranged the insurance for the Twingo we kept at our house , before our permanant move, the agent asked about my no claims, and put me down for full bonus without any paperwork! Price OK as well. The insurance was valid from the day I arranged it.

It pays to shop around for quotes here, some of the big boys will charge a lot more than a smaller company and if you have policies with one company you can often get a discount on taking out yet another one with them. You shouldn't have any problems provided you have a french address and proof of paying french utilities and can provide details of previous UK ncb. Since the CDS was no longer required to proove residency it is hard to proove whether you are or not a full time resident here without going into IR details etc.