RED NUMBER PLATES

lynarth

Some red number plates in France will be "trade plates" just as you see them in the UK and other countries.At one time in the UK a red line around the plate signified that VAT had not been paid on the vehicle-I don't think that applies any longer.

red 'tt' (and other T forms) plates are temporary plates for cars bought within France by people that will return to a residence outside of the EU or for temporary import - they last either 6 months or a year. After this date the car muct be exported out of the EU or the TAX should be paid.

Green plates are for diplomats and officials of international organisations. 'CMD' for chef mission diplomatique 'CD' for Core diplomatique , 'C' for full time consular officials and 'K' for employees working for consulates or international organisations.

http://www.diplomatie.gouv.fr/fr/services-formulaires_831/guide-pour-les-diplomates-etrangers_3445/privileges_3952/les-vehicules_9587.html

and

http://stni.free.fr/index2_fr.html

regs

Richard

My brother had to have these plates fitted on his own personal engish car when he worked for the CWGC in France as theyare considered diplomatic and part of the Brit Embassy. As soon as he left France, his english ones were putback on. One of our clients is a Gendarme in Cameroun and comes "home" twice a year. His holiday vehicles are always on red plates. Another client works for Air Traffic control at Brest and has even stranger white plates with the dept number as well, probably military in origin.

We have a red plate on one of our cars but it isn't quite like the one pictured. Around here (near Geneva) there are quite a few TTW red plates and they are for cars which are built outside the EU and last the lifetime of the car. I'm not sure of the history, but we are allowed a reduction in the TVA on new non-EU cars to make the prices more competitive with EU made cars. I think this only applies if you live in the frontalier region (roughly 10km bordering Switzerland) and if you move outside this region you have to pay back the TVA saved. Bizarre, but we were happy to apply

Kathryn