London Buses in France

Ron Avery

Not exactly on topic, but with all your eyes out there in France, has anybody seen or live next door to anyone who has an ex London double decker bus in their yard or barn?

I know of one near Civray in 86, but a contact believes that there are others perhaps near Albi in 81.

Many have been bought by French people in the past, some used as mobile homes/shops/mobile advertising boards but it is difficult to keep track of where they went to or find out if any are for sale or being scrapped, so any info gratefully received, on the Forum or by PM.

Thanks

One of the numerous brit-run wine caves just five mins from the Roscoff ferry terminal has an old red double decker stood in front of it along with a gruesome fish and chips 4€ board,sorry but it smacks of the Costa del Sol and not rural Brittany. I have actually seen this bus round and about Morlaix quite a lot over the past sixteen years but I imagine now it is insitu permanently.

Val,

I didn't realise that this bus actually ever moved from the traffic island or whatever it's resting on.

I know exactly what you mean - TACKY and Roscoff is such a pretty place.

Ron.

You know how you build a mental picture of some one, well you are now going to be forever seen in my mind as Blakey - he was always my favourite!

I'm thinking of packing in the renovation game, and buying this;

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Routemaster-Bus_W0QQitemZ4591109821QQcategoryZ9883QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Then I can stock it with Marmite , Walkers crisps, Cheddar cheese , Christmas crackers etc. and probably make more money than I ever will in my existing business. En plus, at least my 12 Grand would go to a decent cause and not line the pockets of the fonctionnaires of L'etat Francais

Paul

There is a French registered (33) Routemaster in Monségur Gironde that used to be operated as a curry restaurant, it was parked up in a field the last time I saw it, at Bergerac airport (24) there is a more modern type London Bus used as an office for airport parking and it's also for hire if you want it. 

• 2 weeks later...

[quote]Ron, Just wanted to know if you won the bid? Jan[/quote]

Not bidding for this one NF, not really old enough, and these buses were a lot of trouble when in service with London Buses, which is why they got rid of them!!.  Nice mobile home though but probably very restricted as to where you could take it

It wasn’t the last day for London buses as such, it was the last day in normal service of the open backed Routemaster.  It was good to see the BBC London News commemorated the demise of the Routemaster after 46 years in service with a racing driver driving one round a test track to see if it was better than a modern bus!!   I used to work for London Transport, overhauling them and putting them back together again after accidents and they were so easy to work with and maintain.  But the elderly and those with kids and shopping find them difficult to use, so with an ageing population in the UK perhaps the time was right for them to go, I do feel sorry for all the bus conductors though who have lost their jobs.   I think you will need more than 8000€ to buy, one more like 15000€ for one in good condition, not much use in France though as they are 4.3 metres high and would hit a lot of tress and power lines round here.

Back in 1974 I bought a 1949 RT Double Decker converted as a camper, and used it for a couple of years before selling it (for a profit) to a company who planned to export it to Sri Lanka after first converting it back into its original condition.

You may think I was crazy to buy it in the first place and you would be right to do so as now I cannot imagine what possessed me.  My kids loved it and my wife thought I was barking mad.  I think she was right  [:$] weedon

Met a person in Portugal who bought a German bendy-bus to convert in to a motor-caravan.It apparently cost him a fortune,more than the value of the bus,to get it unstuck from a hump-back bridge in the wilds of Portugal.

That sounded lovely Weedon, I would have loved that.  We got as far as an Esterfête, équipée Star for camping, so we could go off with the dogs in it.  We could stop anywhere, in the dunes, on the beach in the Cotentin (we love), Douarnenez, the Dordogne.  We crossed the Channel to go away with my parents in their caravan to Cornwall and Wales.  My Dad said he missed all the little faces in the windows when we were over there.  One day in France with my parents, we didn't have any more hand brake, so left it in first gear, parked on a slope in a town.  Juan, a Spanish mongrel souvenir, was sitting in the driving seat and the dogs must have knocked it out of gear and it was starting to go down the hill when luckily my father saw and jumped in.  The good old days...

Couldn't a "bendy-bus" get under a hump-back bridge...?