importing a car into france - tax issue

squidge

Hello all

We've just purchased a lhd car in the UK (it's just been imported from Germany). We're not paying vat on the purchase (the seller said that vat was paid in Germany). Would we come across any problems importing the vehicle into France as we haven't paid vat on the purchase of it?

Help! Any advice gladly received!

Thanks

Squidge

I think you'll have a problem registering it if you haven't got proof of payment of VAT.

If the seller said that he'd already paid the VAT you need a copy of the receipt.

VAT has to be paid somewhere along the line for a new car originating in the EU. One of the documents you will need to present at the prefecture (when you go to register it) is a certificate issued by your local tax office, and they'll only give you this when they've had sight of the purchase receipt showing the VAT paid. Otherwise you'll have to pay the VAT when you import the car.

Now is a good time to make sure that you have the vehicle's certificate of conformity too. For a new car you should get this with the vehicle documents, or you can get one from the manufacturer (but there may be a charge for this).

I've obtained tax certificates from the Hotel des Impots for a 1998 car, a 1992 motorcycle and a 1993 motorhome.  For the first two, I just had a scruffy hand written receipt.  In each case, I was never asked to produce original invoices.  Just the V5C which they used to fill in the tax form with registration number, VIN number and fiscal horsepower.

I believe they only insist on invoices if the vehicle is less than 6 months old.....

If the car is registered in your name in the UK you will not need to pay VAT in France when you import it.

If it is not, get creative with your receipt so that it includes VAT, not a practice I would personally endorse or course!

Krin

We were not asked to provide an invoice or any other proof that VAT had

been paid on our car when we imported it. As I understood, the mere

fact that we had a certificate of permanent export was enough to

demostrate that the car had been property registered in the UK and

therefore that VAT had been paid on it to the satisfaction of the UK

authorities.

Hi,

I have bought a 1990 VW Golf originally registered in Germany, but now re-registered on GB plates by me. I plan to take this to France and leave it there. I have heard that I need some sort of certificate or evidence of customs clearance? With your experience, can you advise if I need to declare it somehow on entry into France? I know I will need to have a Control Technique done and get the conformity info from VW, but not too sure if I should risk an hour or two at customs in St Malo, or just drive on in and deal with it later.

Thanks

Layne

Layne

No need to declare it to Customs on arrival - just drive straight through and carry on your journey.  Because its currently registered in the UK, you can continue to drive it on UK plates for up to 6 months.  After that, it must be registered in France.

To register it, you'll need to visit your local Prefecture with the following:-

A certificate of conformity from VW France.....or

An attestation d'identite (proof of type approval for France).  Given the age of your car, you'd best apply to the [url=www.drire.gouv.fr]DRIRE[/url] for an attestation (cost 67 euros - and cheaper than VW).  Find the webpage of your local DRIRE office and download the application form.  It comes with english instructions.  They'll need a copy of your UK registration document and some details from the manufacturer's plate under the bonnet in order to check the car is listed on their database of approved models.

Certificat d'aquisition d'un vehicule terrestre a moteur (VAT paid certificate).  Get it from your local Hotel des Impots (its free!).  You'll need to show them the UK registration document, the original receipt (they don't always ask for this, especially with an older car) and a utility bill as proof of residence. 

Process Verbale de Controle Technique (MOT certificate).  You'll need to show the test centre the UK registration document.  The CT test certificate (costs 56 euros) and will show your UK reg number.  The CT is valid for 2 years. You'll need to change the headlights to right dipping ones first, though - black stickies are not allowed. They'll also put a sticker on your windscreen (the Gendarmes check these regularly)

UK V5C registration document. Tear off the back page first - you'll need to send the "vehicle permanently exported" slip back to the DVLA.

Proof of residence (utility bill)

Passport.

Demande d'immatriculation (application form to register a vehicle).  Its simple to complete and you can pick one up in the foyer of the vehicles department at the Prefecture. 

The registration cost depends on the fiscal power rating of your car - probably just under 200 euros and when you've paid, they'll give you your new French registration document (carte grise).  Take it to your local cordonniere (usually one of the small shops in the hypermarket) and they'll make up a set of number plates for you.  Don't forget to ask them for the rivets - screws are not allowed.

There's no road tax to pay and French insurance cover is cheap.  They'll even insure you temporarily on the UK plates until you get it registered over here.

Piece of cake.....