funky trailer

Motorhead

Couldn't you carry the poles the same way a sailing dinghy mast is carried?  That is, supported at the front of the trailer on a Y shaped crutch and tied down low on the trailer at the back.  The overhang at the front passes safely over the roof of the towing vehicle, so no need for a very long trailer or long overhangs at the back.

Even if your poles are rather flexy they could be lashed tightly together to stop the overhanging bit from whipping about too much

I tow a dinghy like this occasionally.  The only problem is that the mast prevents proper opening of the hatchback of the tow car, once the trailer is hitched on.

Patrick  

Yeah but these poles are 8m long and even with hitching them up at a steepish angle I can't see the trailer being much less than 6m long, including the drawbar.

In the UK this would be long vehicle size. Just wondered if there was a similar situation in France.

If the trailer would be classified as a long vehicle in the UK. then I'd imagine it would be the same in France.

I've had a look at the various Securite Routiere sites, but I can't find any thing about long vehicle signage.  I expect you'd have to fix the same signs to the rear as do trucks/semi trailers.  I do know that you'll need to fix multiple side relectors to the trailer.

Here's some more info that might be useful:

Maximum trailer length is 12 metres.

For vehicles and trailers where the overall length is greater than 7 metres:

• Use of the third lane on a three lane highway is prohibited;

• Outside of built up areas, a gap of at least 50 metres must be maintained if following a vehicle of more than 3,5 tons or more than 7 metres in length;

• In the case of narrow roads, where circulation is difficult, the driver must stop to allow smaller vehicles to pass safely;

• When meeting another vehicle on a narrow hill or steep incline, it is the other vehicle (without trailer) which must reverse;

Any load which exceeds the overall dimensions of the vehicle must firmly be fixed so as not to oscillate and cause danger to other road users

Hope this helps.

I did investigate making the poles sectional but couldn't get them strong enough without a lot of excess weight. Telescopic steel poles were also ruled out because it would have defeated the purpose.

I suppose I shall put on a long vehicule sign and more reflectors than a mod scooter has mirrors and hope for the best. The  gendarmes here are so laid back you have to scrape them off the floor but stray a few km over the border into the Cher and they mutate into nazi nickometers.