Workhorse needed!

Geranium

We're moving to the Tarn in a few weeks and will be looking for a practical car to see us through those first months (years?) of lugging around plants, bags of sands and guests' luggage. So we're selling our lovely convertible Saab in London and will be searching for a second hand estate car.  We've heard of the Peugeot Rapier being rather like Mary Poppins' carpet bag but where do we start?

Is it best to buy second hand through a dealer, or from local adverts or magazines?  In the UK I would go to a dealer to get the reassurance of a guarantee etc. Is it best to do the same in France or would we be paying over the odds?   

Any advice on buying second-hand or indeed on the Peugeot Rapier or other estate cars would be appreciated.

Secondhand cars in France tend to be very expensive, and often quite 'well worn' to put it politely. The French don't change their cars every couple of years like people do in the UK (no 'keeping up with the neighbour's new registration' [;-)]) - if you can afford it consider buying new, and definately get diesel, the saving in fuel makes a big difference in country areas.

Having said that, I bought an old VW Passat turbo diesel estate, LHD, in the UK advertised in Auto Trader and brought it over here, it was originally from Germany and had gone back to the UK with the owner who was in the forces. It's been a great work horse and owes us nothing.

Speaking from (limited) experience, and knowing what several friends have done, if you want a cheap workhorse, get one from a local garage/dealer. They'll look after you, sort the paperwork (minimal), be open to offers, and have a local reputation to maintain.

A guy I know (not short of a bob or two) bought an old diesel van for 300€ from a local dealer. Four years later it's still running and has hardly cost him a sou. Another friend has just bought a 300€ diesel Transit off another Brit. If it only lasts the year, it's damned cheap motoring if you just want a cheap workhorse. Then you won't mind the odd bash and scape, windows open in the rain, flaky paint, pulling the guts out of it dragging a trailer ...

Depends what you're looking for. [:)]

Back in Northern Ireland my boss advised me to always buy Renault.  When we decided to move to France we bought a Renault 19 and brought it with us....that was five years ago and it still works every day - it's very old now. 18 months ago we bought an ancient Renault 11 from the local garage, they sorted out all the paperwork etc. and it had a full CT for 700 euros.  Still going strong so I reckon my bosses advice was spot on.

Aly