is moving to france from the uk all that its cracked up to be

[quote]i was wondering is it as good as you see on the tv ie a place in the sun program a couple bought a farm for 29k. is was this real?[/quote]

Yes, it's real but bargains are few and far between now and usually found by those in the know. You are much more likely to be able to find a house similar to the one you might be in now for around 3rd less or near to half the money. That's more realistic.

We bought a barn and three acres four years ago for 21k. Have spent approx 20k on it and it's half renovated and now worth closer to 90k. Could easily spend another 50k on it, but can't afford to, but still we have liveable accomodation owned outright, mortgage free in a place as beautiful as the Scottish Borders/Devon/Peak District but on average considerably warmer.

However, it's not all plain sailing, as you can see if you read around the message boards. Language limitations, loneliness, integration problems, constantly misunderstanding people, the risk of getting fleeced by residents of all nationalities, problems finding work (you really need to be fluent), draconian institutions and antiquated business rules... add to that miserable children who miss their friends and take a long time to adjust, not to mention the sometimes incomprehensible 'attitude Francais'  and you see there are lots of things to be considered, but these are issues everyone moving to a new area/country has to deal with. How you do is up to you.

I came out here with no alternative, we couldn't afford to buy in the UK, so I considered we had to make it work and we have. But it's not been entirely easy. However, it is A MILLION times better than being in the UK.  Have no regrets. Plus, I can honestly say, having lived and worked rurally all over the UK for thirty years, the locals around us are the friendliest, most helpful, most welcoming countryfolk I have ever met, as long as you treat them with respect of course.

Give it a go. You might enjoy it!

Anyone who thinks real life in France is like those programmes wants their heads testing - that is pure entertainment TV,not practical or real and they never give the truth about finding work,bureaucracy,education,health costs and so on and prices - well,depends on where you go,but buying ruins to renovate have caused many headaches to many people who bit off more than they could chew. Don't get me wrong, I love living here and have been here for a long time,but sometimes it does feel that things are slowly changing and not for the better in that what we left behind is catching up with us here. Even many of the locals are getting fatter and fatter having discovered the joys of fast food and convenience cooking that has arrived here en-masse over the past ten years. You can find decent properties still in many regions but prices reflect the popularity and again the practicalities. There is nothing round here now ruin-wise for less than 150,000€ and the typical neo-Breton house will be selling for about the £180K mark.

"Don't get me wrong, I love living here and have been here for a long time,but sometimes it does feel that things are slowly changing and not for the better in that what we left behind is catching up with us here."

welcome to the real world!

"Even many of the locals are getting fatter and fatter having discovered the joys of fast food and convenience cooking that has arrived here en-masse over the past ten years."

Well I have just been in Sweden and was being told the same thing by my Swedish friends. Complaints about pensions, poor school meals and overweight / obese children and adults. I begin to get the feeling that nowhere is perfect

By all means dream your dreams but make the most of everyday, you never know what's around the next corner!

Gill

Hi

There is no Shangri-La ? Everywhere has good and bad points ?

There are some things I prefer about UK (Fish & chips, supermarket opening hours & Pubs !) and others I prefer here.

Unless you are super wealthy and can isolate yourself from all the bad points, it will always be a compromise ?

Peter

Well put Mpprh

Have to agree, unless you have a few quid (a lot) then its not a walk in the park

I have to say that most of those that have moved from the UK, you see them in supermarkets, thay aren't half a bit scruffy, baggy joggin pants an that, strange, but then that word comes in again - compromise

You will change if you move, in more ways than you would think, you become less bothered, and that cant be bad.

Hi, from our point of view, it all depends on what you want out of life and where you plan to buy a place.

We are in Cher (18) and in a small sleepy village. We bought 5 years ago and spent 4 of those years coming out here and renovating a ruin. We did not make many friends during that time and spent most of our time working on the house, but a few French people came and made friends and that helped a lot. We have a French/English association in the village and this has helped to create a great atmosphere amongst those who "want" to mix.

We researched other areas before buying here and some were not happy with the English moving in, so check around before you take the step to buy. Basic French is essential, the more fluent you are, the more you will be welcomed.

Spend A LOT of time researching the paperwork to your property, if necessary visiting the Marie and the Cadastre and any locals who want to talk - it will save headaches when you have turned the key for the first time. Its definitely not an easy step, and if married, make sure the other half is as keen to take the step as you are - bon voyage !

"We researched other areas before buying here and some were not happy with the English moving in, so check around before you take the step to buy."

Absolutely agree with above comment. It's difficult to find out what the local attitude towards British buyers is before you buy. One thing you can do is look in the local tel. directory and see how many Eng. owners are listed in the village where you plan to settle.

"Basic French is essential, the more fluent you are, the more you will be welcomed."

YES, totally agree

in haste

Gill

99 and 17

I think I saw the program that inspired this question. A very nice couple moved to the Creuse region.

I think they must have told the TV company they had a very low budget as they had a reasonable 'buffer' but were still hoping the 'gite route' would help them considerably.

By the way - I might kill for a neighbor like theirs !! What a sweetie

Moving to France is what you make of it.

Those whose reason for moving is that they don't like Britain will probably, after the honeymoon period, be no happier in France. You need positive reasons for trying another country rather than negative ones.

As the TV programme made clear, there is no way you will find a half-decent property anywhere in France for that sort of money now.

I have quite a strong dislike of the “moving to France” “documentaries” on TV. My dislike is not because of the personalities, presenters, etc. but that, from my experience, do not represent the difficulties and challenges facing people moving here. They are not documentaries but are entertainment. I believe that may “difficulties” are manufactured and many “solutions” unrealistic (at least from my experience). It may be obvious they are not factual – but it is a lot more obvious if you have already experience of “the real thing”.

Their presentation style can mislead people and maybe give them unreal expectations. Before I moved I watched the Nippy & Nigel programs – not because I enjoyed them but because I was hungry for information. (In the example of “A Place in France”, the production company list it as a “Factual” program).

A story (not mine, but from elsewhere) about a pair of monks who stand guard at the entrance to a small city, long, long ago.

One night a family knock on the gates asking admission to the city. They ask the monks what the people are like. "What were they like where you lived before?" "Nasty, tale telling, untrustworthy people. " The monks say "You will find them much the same here." The family up and leave in search of somewhere better.

The second night another family arrive and a similar discussion takes place. The family reply warmly "Oh they were the salt of the earth, friendly, kind and helpful." The monks say "You will find people much the same here." The monks open the gates to the family, and they live happily ever after.

A couple of other thoughts:

Programs like “Place in the Sun” have researchers (and contact Property finders in the selected country) to search out the real best bargains – something may people might not have time to do. Search out bargains yes, but professionals can spend a lot of time doing that (particularly when being paid by TV Companies.

Another thing is that some Satellite channels are repeating these property/move to France programs so some being shown can now quite old (and thus prices can be pretty out-of-date). I rather wish that the satellite channels concerned would state (at beginning, end or on the TV guide) when the program was made as this would help viewers get a feel for how current quoted prices might be.

I know the area quite well having done property searches for myself and a number of friends over the past few years. The programme in question was an update of an original programme made almost 4 years ago, and property was that cheap and easy to find in that the Creuse at that time. Things have changed dramatically, a local agent said he could sell our property for three times what we paid for it in 2003 and we have only decorated it not renovated.

It is a result of the area being "discovered", in 2003 our notaire warned us we would be in deepest France with no english, how times change.

Bob

[quote]I know the area quite well having done property searches for myself and a number of friends over the past few years. The programme in question was an update of an original programme made almost 4 year...[/quote]

In our area Dept 17, the English used to come and buy up the old, stone houses as renovation projects but now because they have become wiser and know that it is xxx hard graft to DIY or an xxx lot of cash and hassle to find good French artisans they are now queuing up to buy plots of land and have the custom-build builders come in and do the work.

The more time I spend thinking about this subject, the more I think it is all about "mindset".  If you have the right mindset, particularly the ability to cope when things don't turn out the way you expected them to, or things aren't as you thought they would be and you have some notion of what you're getting yourself into, then IMO a move to France could be a very satisfying and rewarding experience.   

[quote]The more time I spend thinking about this subject, the more I think it is all about "mindset". If you have the right mindset, particularly the ability to cope when things don't turn out the way you e...[/quote]

I agree with what you say about mindset but I think life is never straight forward wherever you choose to live it and people in general are a mixture of good, bad and indifferent. Hopefully with more of the former!