Fined 90 Euros for having UK licence

Btuckey

[quote user="Stevehudson"]

If you have a UK licence and live in France, what address does it show?

If you no longer own the UK property surely you are committing an offence.

Steve

[/quote]

Sorry, but no.

The UK DL "system" can't handle foreign addresses, so the DVLA will allow you to have an invalid address on your licence until it expires. You are only committing an offence if you use an "accommodation" address (such as parents, friends, etc), when you don't live there.

My DL has a UK address that I sold 4 years ago. I have no other addess in the UK. As I have a valid UK EU licence, I can't have a French one (or more to the point, "why would you want one?" - my local Prefecture).

[quote user="Stevehudson"]

So do you have your French address on your UK licence?

I didn't know that was possible.

Steve

[/quote]

I think you've misunderstood, Steve.  Cooperlola's saying she has written her French address on her UK licence in the space for notifying a change of address - she has not sent it off and had it processed.

But you don't need to do that - as others (like Nick) have said, you can just leave your old licence as it is and it is perfectly legal.  If you clock up a few points then the police may require you to change it, but not always.  Until then you can just keep the UK licence.

[quote user="nicktrollope"][quote user="Stevehudson"]

Steve

[/quote]

Sorry, but no.

The UK DL "system" can't handle foreign addresses, so the DVLA will allow you to have an invalid address on your licence until it expires. You are only committing an offence if you use an "accommodation" address (such as parents, friends, etc), when you don't live there.

My DL has a UK address that I sold 4 years ago. I have no other addess in the UK. As I have a valid UK EU licence, I can't have a French one (or more to the point, "why would you want one?" - my local Prefecture).

[/quote]

Nick,

are you absolutely sure about the 'accommodation' address situation ? I have been under the impression that DVLA needed an address to use for mail in case a UK DL holder committed an offence whilst visiting uk, otherwise they cant nail you. An accomodation address would, in those circumstances, meet the requirements.

Right.  My letter from the DVLA says this, and I quote "Drivers who take up residence in another EC/EEA country no longer have to exchange their driving licence, but may continue to drive using their own national licence for as long as it remains valid.  It is accepted that drivers who move to another part of the EC/EEA could be holding a driving licence showing an incorrect address.  You can complete the back of your licence with your correct address.  This is permissible under the terms of the EC Directive on Driving Licences."  So there.

[quote user="nicktrollope"][quote user="Stevehudson"]

Steve

[/quote]

Sorry, but no.

[/quote]

That can't be right, Nick... what would the offence be exactly ?  "knowingly carrying a licence with a UK (accommodation) address where you might possibly be contactable as opposed to one where you definitely won't be. " perhaps ?

paul

Bob

current EU rules allow/require the exchange of licence.  That is you do not keep your old one.   I know in the past the rules were different or differently interpretted and a new licence was granted on sight of an equivalent one from a reciprocal country.

Naturally I could pay out my 1800+€ and go through the German system and get a German licence by going through the whole test process, ditto for  French licence.  I am not sure however about the legality of such a situation, since it would be possible to rack up points/lose points across the licences - or be banned on one and drive on another.  Maybe there is a loophole here - I somehow doubt it.