Adapting French headlights to UK standards

Les Battees

Apologies if there is already something on the subject on this part of the Forum.  I did a search but couldn't find anything.

Whe're planning a trip back to the UK.  Our trusty Astra Estate now has French headlights (fitted when we re-registered it in France).  We're assuming we can find stickers (or similar) to put on in order to re-adapt them to UK standards for our trip.  What are they called in French?  Where would we buy them?

Many thanks.

V

This was covered a few weeks ago although in the middle of another thread so I haven't been able to find it again.

Basically Sunday Driver came up with the UK rules and regs which seemed to be quite loosely written.  It went something like  you should ensure that your headlights do not  dazzle other road users. I read this  as making sure my  (adjustable)  headlights are set as low as possible.

There wasn't any mention of beam pattern onto the road.

Hope that helps and if not send the fine to SD.

Benjamin

[quoteuser="Les Battees"]

We're assuming we can find stickers (or similar) to put on in order to re-adapt them to UK standards for our trip.  What are they called in French?

[/quote]

Try using insulating tape - riband d'isolation.  You can even get it in different colours to blend with your car......

[quoteuser="Benjamin"]

Hope that helps and if not send the fine to SD.

[/quote]

Yeh, go on....I'll pay it  [8-|].

[quote user="Cassis"][quote user="Mark"]Squidge got a few hollers today.  I didn't. [/quote]

Is that 'cos Squidge was on the wrong side of the road?  See my note elsewhere regarding left and right.
[/quote]

Squidge is forever on the wrong side of the road, allegorically speaking.

Don't know if I mean allegorical, but if I do, I claim several Dick points for dead clever English.

Don't start doing that vortex thing by quoting the quote of a quote, because the last time that happened I ended up in therapy, which was horribly inconvenient because i was trying to emigrate at the time.

I think it could have been allegorical as well if you had been meaning that Squidge's inability to tell left from right had a deeper meaning relating to the truth of human existence - which is what I thought you meant.

You see, you CAN fool most of the people most of the time ...  [:D]

Night, Night - second part of "The Closer" to watch.  She's really something!

Erm, sorry to interrupt the merry badinage but I'm now really confused.

Stupidly, I thought since you can buy stickery-things to adapt UK headlights for France the reverse would hold true.  From what is being said here it seems that this is not necessary.  Have I understood correctly?

Sunday Driver - it would be really useful if you could point me to wherever you got the extract from the UK regulations that Benjamin mentions in his post.  Was it the DVLA site?

I would really appreciate some help here.

V.

It is only necessary to take action if your French headlights have a pattern that throws up part of the beam above the horizontal.  You can test this by turning on your headlights with dipped beam whilst facing a wall - preferably in the dark.  If there is no upthrow to the right (intended to illuminate the side of the road and pavement on the right when driving on the continent, but which would dazzle oncoming traffic when driving on the left in the UK) then you don't need to do anything.  If there is an upthrow, then get some insulating tape and stick it on the lens to block off the offending part of the beam.  The offending part of the beam probably (but not necessarily) originates from the bottom right part of the lens as you look at it.  Use as little tape as you can to block out the beam.

Cassis has explained things admirably.

For the record, the UK Highway Code Annexe 6: Vehicle Maintenance, Safety and Security states that "lights MUST be properly adjusted to prevent dazzling other road users".  The specific legislation is the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986.

[quote user="Cassis"]It is only necessary to take action if your French headlights have a pattern that throws up part of the beam above the horizontal.  You can test this by turning on your headlights with dipped beam whilst facing a wall - preferably in the dark.  If there is no upthrow to the right (intended to illuminate the side of the road and pavement on the right when driving on the continent, but which would dazzle oncoming traffic when driving on the left in the UK) then you don't need to do anything.  If there is an upthrow, then get some insulating tape and stick it on the lens to block off the offending part of the beam.  The offending part of the beam probably (but not necessarily) originates from the bottom right part of the lens as you look at it.  Use as little tape as you can to block out the beam.
[/quote]

Many thanks, Cassis.  Your reply is really appreciated.

V