Triumph Vitesse - doh!

Normandie

I suspect the answer to this is no ... but ... thought I'd check!

I have a Triumph Vitesse but it's in the wrong country!

It's in the UK (not roadworthy) - can I bring it over to France to be worked on in this condition (on a trailer of course!) ?

I'm loathe to have to scrap it as one day ... after a lot of work ... it will be beautiful again and great to have.  However, in the meantime, it's costing money to keep in a lock up, when it could be sitting in a barn for free if I could transport it to France and there would be more of a chance of it being fixed in France (but no chance while it is in the UK).  Although it would have to join the queue - renovate house first!

I guess if the answer was 'yes' I'd need to consider the transportation cost.  Can you take a trailer on the ferries - I've not ever seen one?

[:(]

Yes. I hired a trailer, at very reasonable cost, and took an old MG to France. I travelled there and back on a quick mid-week out-of-season crossing from Portsmouth to Caen, and that cost very little more than the standard car fare. It would be a different story if you were doing it in summer though.

Well you've made my day ...

So I only need to be able that I own it and that's it?!  Doesn't sound like enough red tape to me!!!

Great - will get that dealt with and off my longstanding list of things to do ... and will def. do it over the winter.

Thanks very much for the prompt replies.

BTW Will - you may have missed a question I asked last week or so in response to one of your posts about where that dog breeder was - near you - as I may want to contact them?  Many thanks.

[:)]

No, I don't have any more real details, though you are right - it had slipped my mind. Our dog came as a rescue pup, but other people we know have bought dogs from her. I don't think she is an official breeder, if such things exist in France. It was all done by Mrs Will - always a soft touch where animals are concerned - through somebody who used to be a member of the forum, but don't think that person is around any more. I know that, at the time, the breeder lady worked in the local bar at St-Laurent-de-Terregatte, so if you were to go there and ask about labradors for sale you might be able to find out more.

Regarding the car, to get back on topic, nobody asked any questions or wanted to see paperwork. I did have an export certificate but that was about all (this was before the present registration document came in so you still had to get an export certificate from DVLA, although the car was old enough to be exempt from UK road tax)

Have a look at the towing rules for France. Subject to insurance and a heavy enough French tow car I would put a ball or eye on the front bumper and tow it across. Best 'Q' car I ever drove was a Herald fitted with a Coventry Climax engine by Jack Brabham. Conversion doubled the cost of the car but it would eat any British salon less than 3 litres. Best Q car I ever owned was an MG 1300 with a Jack Knight 5 speed box, needed servicing and an exhaust rebuild every 2500 miles and looked like it was used by a little old lady who liked leather and walnut  to go to Church on Sunday but was worth it any Monday morning when you watched a Ford Granada or similar executive box disappear as you left the North Circular on the A1.  Sold it in Scotland to an American who could not believe you would an 80 cubic inch sports sedan could go that fast. 

Thanks Will & Anton ....

Towing would be a really good option for me so I'll look into that.

Driving down to the beach with the top down will be fab - one day! 

It's a fantastic car - always starts after months of being left idle and pretty fast so takes some getting used to, especially as there's lots of temptation to 'burn them off' at the lights!!!  How sad!

Bonne journee

When you get round to wanting to use the Vitesse on the roads here, it'll need to be registered. Do a search now before you commit yourself; I think you'll have to register it as a "voiture de collection" because of it's age and lack of conformity. This has restrictions as to where you will be able to drive it, for example only in your own departement.  *** edit *** I've just found a thread where Sunday Driver says this restriction is about to be lifted!

I'm sure someone will be along shortly with chapter and verse!

Happy motoring

Sid

Sid is right.  There are presently restrictions on driving voitures de collection, limiting you to your own and neighbouring departments, but these restrictions are being waived as from 1 January 2007.  However, you will still not be able to take the car outside France.

That said, you won't necessarily have to go the VdC route.  Type approval certificates for former Rover Group products have been outsourced to a French company called A.B.P who are based in St Denis near Paris.  I've recommended them to friend who obtained one for his 1960's MGB, so I expect you'd have no difficulty in getting one for the Vitesse.

Once the cars all tiddly, post up some photos and we'll pass on the information...[;-)]