Exchange and registration

cheminot

This is a bit complicated but I'll try to explain it as clearly as possible.

I have a Transit van which I am in the process of registering in France. I have got the attestation de conformite and am at present waiting for the new headlights to be delivered.

I have agreed with my neighbour (who is a builder) that I will part exchange the van + cash) for a car he owns (french registered).

Question. Do I have to obtain a controle technique for the van before I exchange or register the van or would I be better off 'selling' him the van as english registered then letting him go through the registration process afterwards? Any other information about the best way to complete this process will be most welcome.

cheminot

You could do it either way, but I'd register it first as a gesture to your neighbour. 

Once you've got the headlamps fitted, it's plain sailing.  First get your quittus fiscale certificate from your tax office so you're legally able to drive the van.  Then take it for the CT (it needs a fresh CT in order to be registered), then go round to your prefecture and register it.  You can do it all in a couple of days.

Your neighbour will appreciate the new carte grise without the hassle and you'd be able to hint at which brand of malt whisky you prefer.....[;-)]

[quote user="Sunday Driver"]

You could do it either way, but I'd register it first as a gesture to your neighbour. 

Once you've got the headlamps fitted, it's plain sailing.  First get your quittus fiscale certificate from your tax office so you're legally able to drive the van.  Then take it for the CT (it needs a fresh CT in order to be registered), then go round to your prefecture and register it.  You can do it all in a couple of days.

Your neighbour will appreciate the new carte grise without the hassle and you'd be able to hint at which brand of malt whisky you prefer.....[;-)]

[/quote]

But they will need to pay twice (for the registration) - which is pricier for a commercial.

[quote user="Sunday Driver"]

Sorry if I didn't make things clear - the van would be registered in the neighbour's name.  Cheminot would be doing him a favour by doing the legwork on his his behalf.

PS: Light vans cost the same to register as cars.....[;-)]

[/quote]

Not 'ere they ain't. My Renault Express costs an extra 30€, because it is a van.

• 4 weeks later...