Importing a car to France-non resident

steveh

The rules for registration are the same whether you live in France or are visiting from time to time.  All you need from a residency perspective is your passport and a utility bill.  I must say its good to see somebody wants to do things right instead of those hundreds of maison secondaire owners who clog up the airports and port car parks with uninsured and unsafe wrecks every summer.[6]

Do a search of "registering a car in France"  Sunday Driver has posted several times the process required in great detail. 

Is the car RHD or LHD?

If it is RHD drive then why not just buy a similar vehicle in France?

Based on experiences elsewhere you are far better with a LHD for all sorts of reasons, overtaking, tolls, car parks etc.

Citroen Berlingo's in abundance in France.

Spoke with several friends in the past who have 'imported' their Brit cars to Sapin and they have all regretted doing it.

John

John

Whilst many of us would agree with you about a LHD car if he was moving here full time, having a RHD car does not really matter if its only for holiday use, as thousands of UK tourists will testify, he did actually ask about registering it, not whether it was a good idea or not

Second hand cars here are also twice the UK price though I gather that is not the case in the big towns so much now.

The answer to the OP is actually in the FAQ section of this section look in http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/684121/ShowPost.aspx

My OH hung onto his RHD when we came here too; it was cheaper than buying a second hand one in France whose history we knew nothing of, and as we intend to keep it until it falls apart - its low/non-existant resale value is irrelevant.  He doesn't find it a problem at all and our local mechanic is happy to service it.