Are the rules different W.R.T. Pedestrian crossings?

Chancer

It sometimes seems that I am the only motorist here who stops for people at a pedestrian crossing, they always give me a bemused look before crossing, sometimes they point out to one another my steering wheel on the right and laugh!

On the other hand I have been hit twice now by vehicles when I have been crossing (luckily only bumped and bruised) and have had several near misses, the drivers have reacted as though I was at fault.

Is there something that I dont know or am missing?

I also find that the primary use for pedestrian crossings in my town is for short term parking for the boulangerie/tabac or as a meeting place where people pass the time of day chatting whilst looking like they want to cross - OK I am the only one that falls for that trick!

I have developed a method that suits me well. It includes being cautious and also making eye contact with the one coming driver if I can. I acknowledge that sometimes it just isn't worth the risk of trying.

I often wonder if we don't see many people out in wheelchairs because of the dangers of road crossing.

The driving school taught our daughter that the she should stop if the pedestrian has started to cross. 'Engaged' the crossing was the literal translation.

So, just jump off the pavement in front of oncoming traffic, its your right of way[:D]

Steve

[quote user="J.R."]

It sometimes seems that I am the only motorist here who stops for people at a pedestrian crossing, they always give me a bemused look before crossing,

[/quote]

Do you really mean what we call Zebra crossings, rather than a Pelican Crossing?

Where I live, if there are any lights people always stop, however grudgingly.

Tresco.

Yes I meant a pedestrian crossing without traffic lights.

Steve, that is what I do but I am a little more cautious as I make sure that there is enough room for the car to slowly come to a stop and also that the driver is looking forward.

But..... I have now been hit twice doing the above, in both cases the drivers felt that it was my fault or to be more precise "what did you expect?"

If I were to step out blindly, I might perhaps be in the right but also dead so unable to debate the point.

My question is are we just assuming that the law is the same as what we are used to just because the ""passage pietons" ("Zebra crossings") look the same? Is the law or responsibilty (as opposed to liability) different? The law certainly is with respect to mobilettes and drivers always give them a very very wide berth, but why not pietons?

Just to add another bit of confusion there is an area in my town that has lots of speed humps that are "priorite pietons" which at the time I didn't appreciate, a pedestrian "jumped" out in front of me without looking, as was his right, I stopped but he was really angry, again understandably but why is the same not true at the passage pietons?

Code de la route says the following about pedestrians:

Art. R. 412-37

Pedestrians must cross the roadway by taking account of the visibility as well as distance and speed of the vehicles. Any crossing that is within 50 metres must be used to cross the road.

Art R. 415-11

All drivers must give way to pedestrians who are crossing the road.

Failure to respect this priority rule is a class four offence, punishable by a fine, four points and a possible driving ban of up to three years.