Speeding in a hired car

RumziGal

A colleague here in the UK would like to know what to do with two speeding tickets he gathered while driving a hired car on holiday in France.    They have been forwarded to him here by the car hire company.

What would you recommend?  Pay up?  Ignore?  Will the hire car company blacklist him? 

Never having had one, I can't help him.   Thank you!  [:)]

The hire company will have notified the authorities of the name and address of the driver and if he does not pay the fines, they will remain outstanding (and at the higher "majoree" level).  Then, when the proposed cross border enforcement arrangements come into place, he will be pursued in the UK for the offences. 

If he pays the fines now, then he won't get the points.  If he waits until later, then the French will be able to apply to have the points penalty awarded against his UK licence.  If he was snapped doing more than 30kph over the posted limit, then the French will be able to apply to have his UK driving licence disqualified for up to three years.

Of course, I'm sure he'd want to do the right thing morally.....[;-)]

I seem to remember reading on a contract when I hired a care somewhere or other that if I got any speeding fines that the hire company would debit my card. He'd better check that they haven't done this before he pays. Paying once is bad enough, I'm sure he wouldn't want to pay twice.

NB while since I have hired though, so don't know if this is still valid either, it was just a thought.[:)]

The French are trying to get this ratified before July so they are in a position to fine and then pass details on to the UK authorities to then put 3 penalty points on the offenders licence.  At the moment no scheme is in place between France and the UK. The French also want

access to the DVLA at Swansea.

Foreign speeders caught on UK cameras do not get prosecuted - seems unfair  So in answer to the should I pay well at the moment nothing will happen as there is no official agreement, there will be soon though you can bet on it.

The French are keen to have this ratified as soon as possible because of the number of speeding offences committed by foreigners.  According to a recent paper on cross border enforcement, in the first four months following the introduction of fixed speed cameras in France in 2003, approximately 25% of violations were committed by vehicles registered outside France.

Since the UK Road Safety Act (2007) was passed earlier this month, DVLA driver and vehicle records can now be made available to the French traffic authorities.......