Driving in France(for six months and UK for six months)

sotiebreed

I am going to stay for six months in Marseillan south of France.  I will be domicile in UK. I will somehow be purchasing a left hand drive car?  Do I have to register the car after three months in France, and then on my return to UK register again? This will be an annual situation. Any advice on these topics would be greatly appreciated.

[quote user="Sunday Driver"]

If you are UK resident and you purchase a UK registered LHD vehicle, then you may use it to visit France for up to six months in any twelve month period without having to re-register it here or pay any local taxes/duties.

[/quote]

Obviously ensuring that the vehicle is T&T and the insurer is aware that you will outside UK for more than the normal max 90 days.

There must be a temptation to do it the other way round. Purchase a french reg car on the address in France, then use it for the 6 months in the UK. On french insurance this would be no problem as I understand it.

Whether the UK authorities would be happy with the registration issue I don't know, but certainly a lot of Polish people are doing it now, for at least 6 months.

I'd stick with the "legal English car" route for cost and convenience - I don't think the lack of tax would out-weigh the inflated cost of buying in France or the effort in importing one.

Just a thought-would a rhd car be cheaper to insure in the uk even though you were using it in France?