Buying a second hand car from a private seller

irlandais

I've decided to buy second hand from private seller.

I have a rough idea of how this should work, however I could do with your advice for the specifics!

So far, I've got a copy of the seller's carte grise

and I've got the certificate non-gage

For the purchase, I'll need to do the following:

Change of owership form in triplicate (one for the seller, one for the department, one for me)

-> What is this form called? and can it be downloaded?, if not, where can I get it?

What happens with the carte grise belonging to the seller?

-> Should the coupon from the carte grise should be detached at this point?

As I'm buying in another dept, I must register the car my department and organise new number plates.

-> What information do I need to provide at the prefecture?

-> How quickly will I get my new registration number?

Finally, will an insurance company cover me under the old registation number until I have the new one?

Anything important I'm forgetting?

Carte grise - OK

Non gage - OK

You'll also need a CT certificate if the car is over four years old.  The certificate must be no more than six months old.

The seller needs to fill in a certificat de cession - it's the three part document giving details of the old and new owners.  You both need to sign it as it's the official transfer of ownership document. It's his responsibility to send the copy to the prefecture within 15 days.  You have one month in which to register it in your name.

The carte grise should be marked "vendu le (date)" and signed by the vendor then handed over to you.  Don't detach the carte grise coupon - it's only for retaining if you send the renewal off by post. 

To register the car in your name, visit your prefecture and fill in a demande de certificat d'immatriculation form then hand it in togther with your copy of the certificate de cession, the old carte grise, non gage certificate, CT certificate (if applicable), your passport and a utility bill.  Pay the fee and walk out with your new carte grise.

Your insurers will issue a one month certificate under the old number.  When you've got your new carte grise and registration number, they'll issue the full proper certificate.

Certificat de cession from [url=http://www.prefecture-police-paris.interieur.gouv.fr/demarches/Formulaires/cerce.pdf]HERE[/url].

Certificat de situation/non-gage from [url=http://www.interieur.gouv.fr/sections/a_votre_service/vos_demarches/vehicules/telecartegrise_particuliers]HERE[/url].

[quote user="Sunday Driver"]

Carte grise - OK

Non gage - OK

You'll also need a CT certificate if the car is over four years old.  The certificate must be no more than six months old.

The seller needs to fill in a certificat de cession - it's the three part document giving details of the old and new owners.  You both need to sign it as it's the official transfer of ownership document. It's his responsibility to send the copy to the prefecture within 15 days.  You have one month in which to register it in your name.

The carte grise should be marked "vendu le (date)" and signed by the vendor then handed over to you.  Don't detach the carte grise coupon - it's only for retaining if you send the renewal off by post. 

To register the car in your name, visit your prefecture and fill in a demande de certificat d'immatriculation form then hand it in togther with your copy of the certificate de cession, the old carte grise, non gage certificate, CT certificate (if applicable), your passport and a utility bill.  Pay the fee and walk out with your new carte grise.

Your insurers will issue a one month certificate under the old number.  When you've got your new carte grise and registration number, they'll issue the full proper certificate [/quote]

Great, exactly the info I was looking for, much appreciated SD.[:)]

One further question, can I register the car in my name in my dept's prefecture, the day I buy it,

or must I wait until the seller has sent the other copy to his dept's prefecture?

Thought I might as well kill two birds...

especially with the hours the Prefecture keeps, and I'm collecting during the week.

With a bit of luck I'll be able to stop off at Speedy on the way home and get the number plates made up as well [:)]

Code de la route Art R317-8:

All motorcycles, tricycles/quadricycles and cyclomotors must display a registration plate fixed in an immovable manner to the rear of the vehicle.

Contravention of the dispositions of this article relative to the maintenance, characteristics or method of fixing is punishable by a fine of the third class (68 euros fixed fine, 450 euros for a repeat offence).

Colour coded rivets are cool....[8-|]

• 2 weeks later...
Just a quick update to let you know I picked up the car last week, and successfully registered it in my name at the prefecture.

And once I convinced the civil servants there that Ireland is in fact a member of the EU (no joke!), it was a painless process.

Thanks to all for your good advice, esp Sunday Driver.

Now all I have to get is some rivets :-)

• 3 weeks later...