Selling a car in France

Matt09H

Hello,

I'm trying to sell my car before I move back to England and was trying to work out what I need before I can make any sale. From the other posts I see that I need the following:

- Carte grise (which I need to cut off the bottom corner of and give it to the buyer) and marked "Vendu le ****" and signed by me.

- Non-gage certificate - 3 copies (1 for me, 1 for the buyer, 1 for the department (who gives it to the department?))

- A certificate de cession - which I need to sign, as does buyer. Then I must send this to the prefecture.

- The controle technique document (less than 6 months old). Give to buyer.

Is there anything else I need to do before making the sale?

You've got everything there, but just to clarify what you do with them:

Carte Grise.  Don't cut anything off, just give the whole thing to the buyer.  The cut-off coupon is for his use if he wants to reregister by post.  Also put the time of sale on the CG - in case he runs up any speeding tickets on the way home.

Non-Gage.  Just give the actual certificate to the buyer.  No copies required.

Certificat de cession.  This is the three part "notification of change of owner" document.  Three copies, one to the buyer, one for yourself, you must send the third copy to your prefecture within 15 days.

thanks a lot for the info.

Do you know if a printed black and white copy of the non-gage and the certificate de cession are valid?

Just that I only have a black and white printer...I guess it's fine but I know they can be strict with the details.

• 2 weeks later...

"The controle technique document (less than 6 months old)"

Can anyone spell out exactly what is meant by the above statement??

I am selling a car with 18 months still to go on the CT

thanks for any enlightening info

[quote user="Sunday Driver"]

ertificat de cession.  This is the three part "notification of change of owner" document.  Three copies, one to the buyer, one for yourself, you must send the third copy to your prefecture within 15 days.

[/quote]

Just to confirm - should it be me or the buyer who sends the 3rd part of the certificate de cession to the prefecture?

Thanks