Someones up to no good

AnOther

Avoiding road fund tax.

I once knew a guy who had reversed the number on the back of his car, eg BSA 111 became 111BSA, and it took the police an others a very long time to work it out. He swore he had never noticed. But I can't remember whether he got off or not. The car was also a cut and paste job, being the halves of two different Etypes.

Both of those plates are obviously "French" so someone must have made a conscious descision to buy 2 sets of plates (you know, take the carte gris to the supermarket....) - how can you do that "accidentally"?

Also, the Range Rover is RHD. Should it have a UK plate?

Consider Occams Razer.....

He does say he is unsure of how many cars he has - wonder if they all have this registration plate?

Presumably he might also get away with fines for other road traffic offences if he incurred any.

Paul

Being in the fortunate position to have a "fleet" of cars, I would have thought the obvious solution would be to have some UK registered cars kept at his UK Devon mansion for the use of when in the UK , which given the apparent popularity of his quiz, would be most of the time.

Certainly does have a nasty whiff about it.

[quote user="Bob T"]They are. the top picture is the Land Rover Discovery in France and the bottom picture is a Range Rover in the UK. Both have the same numberplate, that is the topic under discussion.

[/quote]

Bob, I was commenting on the last part of the news report where the reporter called the Disco a "Range Rover Discovery". It was perhaps a silly post to make as I am very aware of the difference being a land rover and range rover owner over the years.

Very sorry for being ever so slightly off topic.

It would be interesting to know whether he bought it in the UK for export, thereby not having to pay the VAT, obviously this would have to be paid on the vehicle entering France. But, has it ever been to France? In fact, has it ever left the country? It wasn't displaying the insurance certificate in the window, so is he driving around an uninsured, unregistered vehicle? Also has there been an evasion of a liaibilty to pay tax? Quite a few questions to be answered. Is the correct answer in any of those boxes? I hope there is someone out there who will be putting these questions to him more formally, or is he just going to get away with it? It's quite likely that the local Police aren't aware of the requirement to display the insurance. Also, they would probably not want to stop it as they would see it as a French vehicle and would be thinking about potential language difficulties if they did.

Paul

These vehicle purchases and their associated registration formalities will have been taken care of by Edmonds' management company.  It's unlikely that he himself would have ordered the plates or put his signature anywhere near a V55.

He was clearly ambushed over this and he fluffed his responses.  Once his scriptwriters have swung into action, an press release will be issued exonerating him from any culpability and announcing that his transport administrator has been put on disciplinary.

End of story, I expect....

Doesn't "ignorance is no excuse" come into it somewhere ?

Being generous and giving him the benefit of the doubt over the duplication issue I still think he needs to provide a credible explanation for tooling around UK in a French registered car and establish it's legality of course. 

SD I think you are being extremely charitable and Ernie you are right that ignorance is no defence.

Would have thought that at some point he would have noticed the plates and thought 'that's funny they are the same as on the other vehicle'.

The whole thing does stink - I do not know of anyone who has had 2 sets of plates made up because they 'forgot' that they had had the first set made up.

And the big question did the vehicle in the UK ever go to France (unless it was purchased in France) if it did not then the plates would have had to be sent to the UK to be attached to the vehicle

[quote user="P"]

SD I think you are being extremely charitable

[/quote]

Charitable....moi?  [:-))]

Of course there will have been something dodgy going on, but I suspect the outcome will be an "administrative" error on the part of someone else.  Edmonds' contract with Channel Four is rumoured to be worth around £3 million a year, so I expect he'll be able to afford the necessary legal means to ensure this happens.

Just one of the thousands of vehicles that appear to have "accidently " ended up with the wrong registration plates on UK roads that is now causing police chiefs to ask for a a new method of vehicle identification.........speed camera and congestion charge  introduction and the need to hang onto your licence these days  anything to do with this .......no...of course not ....

Here is one for Gordon....

Any foreign vehicle entering the UK must have a UK registration. Any vehicle entering for a limitied period must have a temporary UK registration issued at the arrival point at a cost of, say, £200 a time (plates extra).

Paul

Ps - SD sorry about insulting you by saying you are charitable [:D]

[quote user="Dotty "]P. For goodness sake get a life.  Some of us commute to the UK from France, isn't it enough we pay for tolls, petrol and the ferry crossing, without resorting to paying for extra temporary plates?[/quote]

Dotty - sorry you did not pick up on it but it was tongue in cheek - as if Gordon needs any help in taking money from people.

Paul