Selling our apartment

rowland

Having decided to put our apartment in the Var up for sale and having trawled the forum and other sources for info, I think that I have to:-

Find a Notaire

Find an immobilier (trying not to cry at their extortionate charges) and provide them with the amounts for maintenance charges and taxes and also copy of minutes of last AGM to show what was decided.

Arrange for diagnostics to be done.

Keep fingers crossed that someone wants to buy it.

We realise the market is flat at the moment and do not expect to sell quickly.

Questions

What documents, if any do I need to take to the Notaire?

Should the immobilier arrange for the diagnostics to be done as part of their service?

We will be selling the apartment furnished and equipped including cutlery, crockery etc.- do I need to provide a detailed inventory of what is included for the immobilier at the outset or is that something they will compile?

Although we will have to deal with an immobilier, can anyone recommend websites where we can also advertise to point potential buyers in the right direction?

Is there anything important that I have missed?

Apologies for a long post but trying to get all sorted in my head before we contact anyone and start the ball rolling.

Thanks

Some estate agents will organise the various reports for you: the cost to have it done yourself should be between 300-400 € depending on the size. In a slow market (we are up to 9 months now for a place in central Montpellier) bear in mind that if the agent includes the reports in his/her fees, it makes it a bit more difficult for you to sell via someone else.

You only need the DPE (energy diagnostic) to advertise your property. It is worth holding off on the other required diagnostics until you have an offer, since some of them are only valid for a short time. If you are dealing with a Notaire ask if they offer an immo service - their charges can be much lower than a regular immo, e.g. 4% instead of 8%.

I suggest you do use an immobilier as they will have all the advertising and possible clients already set up for you.

I have sold three times using an immobilier each time.

You must remember which many expats might not know that it is illegal for an immobilier to charge you the vendor for marketing etc like the do in the UK.

Also in most cases the agency fees are paid for by the buyer - you agree a fee with the agency and they add their fees on top.

It is basically a free service - just remember to make sure the mandat you sign is non exclusive

Good luck

[quote user="Grand Fromage"]Also in most cases the agency fees are paid for by the buyer - you agree a fee with the agency and they add their fees on top.

It is basically a free service - just remember to make sure the mandat you sign is non exclusive

Good luck[/quote]

It isn't a free service. The agent's fees add to the price of your property as far as the buyer is concerned and therefore reduce the amount that you will receive compared with doing the same deal (ie selling for the same overall price) directly via PAP or entreparticuliers or LBC or whatever. Given the high commissions charged by estate agents in France, make sure that you are getting a real service for the money. There are some excellent agents who provide a service which is worth their commission and some really really cr@p ones who shouldn't be in business.

• 4 weeks later...

Have researched a bit more and next week we will be off to start the ball rolling. A bit aprehensive but fingers crossed will be able to deal with it - following links on here have found an english speaking notaire - this will help a lot as although I speak passable french I do not have a lot of confidence and always feel more confident if I have as much info in my brain as possible. Thanks to everyone who replied.

Just one more question that I can't seem to find an answer to (sure it is on here somewhere but obviously not putting search info in correctly.

We have decided on an immobilier and are going to go for a mandat exclusif for a specified period. My question is what happens after that specified period? Do we have to renew the mandat or does it automatically become a mandat simple?

Thanks for any help.

G.

[quote user="rowland"]We have decided on an immobilier and are going to go for a mandat exclusif for a specified period. My question is what happens after that specified period? Do we have to renew the mandat or does it automatically become a mandat simple?[/quote]

Obviously it depends on the specific wording but generally the mandate runs for three months and then is renewed by tacit agreement - ie if neither of you does anything, it automatically renews as a "mandat exclusif" for another three months. This continues for a year, at the end of which the mandate expires (usually).

Good luck!