driving documents required

gottogetoutoffhere

Hi, was stopped by the police last week, all they asked for was the insurance, and my DL. It was a uk plated car. Please make sure that you have the following also, a reflective vest or jacket for each passager, they sometime look for these. Others I am sure will add to the list, I would also take a copy of the bill of sale, you never no.

michael

[quote user="Nick Trollope"]

BTW, the requirement for reflective jackets, first-aid kits, bulbs and spare underwear, is a crock of sh*t perpetuated by the shops in the ferry ports. Not mandatory here!

You are only required to carry paperwork for the car.

[/quote]

Now you tell us Nick - I've just had a vest specially made for the dog at great expense [:D]

Paul

Hi, in answer to NT, as to reflective jackets, vests. I suppose that the police had a crock of S--- in mind then, put asked to see the vests. Try  being broken down on the side of the road without one around here, Yes I know that a lot of french don,t go by all the rules but the police are becoming more demanding, And its best to keep on their good side, so yes a vest is needed. OK

michael 

No, not OK. If the blue meanies tell you that it is mandatory to carry a reflective jacket, then they are wrong. Tell  them to go hassle some black workers instead.

Yes, it is sensible to carry one (but senseless to pay for one, most insurance companies give them away), but mandatory it ain't.

Lucky I think !

There seems to be about the same proportion of really bad drivers here, as there are in the UK.

However, there seem to be more mediocre drivers here than in UK, whereas in Uk in my view there are a slightly higher proportion of good drivers than here (if that makes sense).  

[quote user="maureen"]Sorry to have to tell you guys, but a warning triangle is an obligation in all transport!
If new legislation comes in it will be compulsary to have two triangles and a fluo jacket for each person in the car.
[/quote]

A triangle is not obligatory in all vehicles.

Here is the link, from which you will see that for vehicles unde 3500kg signalling is either by hazard warning lights or a triangle or a mixture. For vehicles over 3500kg a triangle is obligatory

http://www.code-route.com/code_presign.htm

[quote user="maureen"]Sorry to have to tell you guys, but a warning triangle is an obligation in all transport!

[/quote]

[IMG]http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p211/Bugbear2/Ready.jpg[/IMG]

Any idea where I would put it maureen ?...................................[:)]

[quote user="terry1956"]

Hi, was stopped by the police last week, all they asked for was the insurance, and my DL. It was a uk plated car. Please make sure that you have the following also, a reflective vest or jacket for each passager, they sometime look for these. Others I am sure will add to the list, I would also take a copy of the bill of sale, you never no.

michael

[/quote]

Were you just on holiday or a resident Terry? Just interested in the fact that you mention a U.K. plated car???

[quote user="gottogetoutoffhere"]

French drivers seem much more laid back and drive slower than in uk or was i just lucky ?

[/quote]

Holy Sheeee!!! How fast do you drive mate, BMW by any chance.

I see old Ladies out here in Limousin coming at me round corners on two wheels,and they ain't on mopeds.

Loz

Post edited by the moderators: Please do not advertise your products or services on the message boards. Any advertising without permission will be removed.

Got a pull from the G men doing a road side stop and chat on our way to Perigueux yesterday.

He looked at my garte vert on the widscreen, showed him the carte gris, passport and Euro licence.  He asked me how long I'd been in France and I told him and he suggested a French driving licence would be a good idea now.  I asked if the Euro licence would do if I didn't commit an offence and he said of course it would but as I'm resident here and can't gat a carte de sejour, would sometimes be useful.

So we exchenged further pleasantries, he seemed impressed I had a couple of G men/women's carte de visite in my wallet (long story) so we exchanged fiurther pleasantries and I drove off.