Priorite a droite

Nick Trollope

• 6 months later...
I'm just back from holiday in Savoie (73). I've driven in France on holiday for many years and have rarely been aware of PAD, in fact I thought it had died out, but at several junctions in and around Aix-les-Bains motorists stopped to let me out from the right where I was waiting to let them past because I thought they had priority. Maybe Savoie motorists are more polite than elsewhere in France because, for the first time ever, I was never hooted at for being too slow off the mark at traffic lights.

Priorité

à droite

Give way to the right

Give way to traffic coming from the right : traffic on the the road 50 or 150 meters ahead has priority.

You must reduce your speed to prepare to give way to traffic joining from the right.

Priorité

ponctuelle

One-off priority

The road you are driving on has priority over the other roads at the next junction only. Road users on the other roads must give way to you.

The road will cease to have priority over the other roads after the next junction.

Priorité

Priority

The road you are driving on has permanent priority over the other roads at all junctions.

The road ceases to have priority over the other roads when the barred sign is shown.

Aucun

Panneau

No roadsign

-

Where no sign is displayed, you must give way to traffic joining from the right.

With regards to that last one above, it applies particularly in town, where road signs are not present.

Autres

chemins

Other paths and tracks

-

-

A private dirt track or path does not have priority.

- A car park exit does not have priority.

- When open to public traffic, track, even when not tarmacked, have priority

:
look for road signs.

I remember reading somewhere that the PAD is responsible for more accidents than any other single cause here! When roundabouts were first introduced they were also PAD, so you could get on at busy ones but not a hope of getting off???[8-)] Some drivers still believe that to be the case the way they drive.

A quick question for Clair if I may?

Why is it that French people are the nicest and most courtious people you could wish to meet, absuloutely delightful! Until they get into a motor vehicle. Then the grace and niceness goes out of the window...

Nothing to do with PAD for a moment. We followed a learner driver, in a school car with the instructor beside him, towards Carcassonne and into a 30K limit. The limit starts just after a roundabout. The learner accelerated upto over 50 and sailed through the 30 limit and vanished into the distance. If this is how people are taught here, well??????

[quote user="Jonzjob"]A quick question for Clair if I may?

Why is it that French people are the nicest and most courtious people you could wish to meet, absuloutely delightful! Until they get into a motor vehicle. Then the grace and niceness goes out of the window...

Nothing to do with PAD for a moment. We followed a learner driver, in a school car with the instructor beside him, towards Carcassonne and into a 30K limit. The limit starts just after a roundabout. The learner accelerated upto over 50 and sailed through the 30 limit and vanished into the distance. If this is how people are taught here, well??????

[/quote]

I do not pretend to speak for the whole of the French nation, but I am one of the nicest, courteous and delightful French person you could wish to meet, both in and out of a car![Www]

Anyway, I learnt to drive in England.....[:-))]