Cars

ColinE

Hi People.

I am new on the forum, we are thinking of moving to France in the near future.

You people are talking new cars, what about mine, one is 53 years old, one is 43 years old, one is 35years old, all MGs,

What if anything is differant with these cars can anyone give me any info.

Spent a couple of hours looking through the site, and picked up a lot of information, will keep on checking it for advice.

Keep up the good work.

Colin

I wonder where you are thinking to move to. There are a handful of MG enthusiasts around my area, SE Dordogne/Lot, who would make you welcome.

Regarding your cars, certificates of conformity will be the biggest hurdle and although you don't say what models they are there is an outfit in France who can issue CoC's for MG/Rover cars, certainly as far back as MGB's at least, so it might be worth giving them a call or email.

ABP
254 Avenue du President Wilson
93210 ST DENIS

Tel./fax: 01 34 73 48 02
Mobile: 06 72 61 61 25

Well I guess I will be in a similar situation with my 28 year old Jeep!  (CJ7)

I'm going to carcassonne next week with the hope of sourcing a long term rental, then I must register it ASAP as the UK MOT is almost run out and I have it with me in Italy at the moment.  I certainly aren't going to drive it back to UK at 12mpg just for an MOT!!!!!!

Colin I'll let you know how easy / difficult the process is.  From what I've read I think it should be reasonably straight forward.  The only worry I have is about the initial purchase receipt.  Obviously I don't have it!  Hopefully it won't be necessary as the car is so old.

Ric.

Hi ErnieY

Sorry,with the rush to post details I forgot to say the cars are 1954 MGTF, 1964 MGB Roaster, and a 1972 Automatic MGBGT.

We have been coming to France around the Bergerac area for the last 23 years, mainly on MG rallies, so are comfortable in this area,  have quite a few friends in the area, I asked the question as I do not know what  has to be done with the old cars, I will not leave England without them, I have had the GT since 1985, its part of me.

Thanks for the contact I will certainly contact him.

Colin

[quote user="ColinE"]I will not leave England without them, I have had the GT since 1985, its part of me.[/quote]

I know where you're oming from.  I haven't had my Jeep that long (4 years) but I bought is as a pile of rust and stripped it to the bare bones, restored or replaced everything, and rebuilt it myself.  Total nut and bolt job [8-|].  Total nutter my friends all thought when I started!

Likewise I would not leave it behind.

[quote user="Jonzjob"]

Colin, you lucky perisher. I had a 1946 TC and cried when I couldn't bring it back from Singapore. I always wanted a TF. Wonderful cars!!!

Good luck.

[/quote]

I used to be an MG nut. Had a '34 PA, a TC and built a special that I sprinted and hill climbed from various pre war models.

Ahh, them were the days.....

[quote user="raindog"][quote user="Jonzjob"]

Colin, you lucky perisher. I had a 1946 TC and cried when I couldn't bring it back from Singapore. I always wanted a TF. Wonderful cars!!!

Good luck.

[/quote]

I used to be an MG nut. Had a '34 PA, a TC and built a special that I sprinted and hill climbed from various pre war models.

Ahh, them were the days.....

[/quote]

You lot make me want to cry, my first car was a 47 TC, rebuilt it from chassis up, took 18mths. Stupidly I sold it and bought.........

a mini!!!!!!!![:(]

Fond memories of my 1966 Mini Cooper, which had real door handles and a proper gear lever as standard. It still holds a production saloon sprint course record as far as I know... Mind you it wasn't much faster than its predecessor, a Renault 4CV with Dauphine Gordini engine. Now have to make do with a currently non-working MGB GT, though we do have a guy near us in France with a couple of older MGs.

[quote user="ColinE"]I have had the GT since 1985, its part of me.[/quote]I've had my GT since 1987 and having accompanied each other for over 200,000 miles am no longer sure which is part of whom...[blink]

One thing is for sure though, we will not be parting company until I can physically no longer drive it at which time it will pass to my daughter who already drives a 1970 Midget...[:D]

And another MG nut here! Have owned my 1931 MG F type Magna since 1964 (my first motorcar) and have enough bits to rebuild a complete MG J2 Midget and half a PB

Midget in the sous-sol. I've also 1953 Triumph Thunderbird motorcycle nearly ready for the road.

By the way,Sunday Driver, do you still have the door pulls kicking about? They seem to fetch silly money these days (in good condition) in Mini Mk 1 circles!

The last time I saw a PA was just before we moved over here 3 + years back On of our elderly neighbours further along our lane, Butterow, has a BRG 32 supercharged 850 PA that he used to sprint and trial. He now uses it for his every day transport. Mind you his wife made him get a soft top for it. He also has another PA in his garage that he doesn't use very much, normaly aspirated. He also had a Jensen FF Intercepter that he sold because it frightened the life out of him every time he drove it!

My old man bought an Austin Mini Countryman in Jan 62 in Bahrain when he was stationed out there. Sliding windows and the string door openers. He used to have 2 engines and do one up while using the other. He finally got rid of it in about 98, still with the original ash woodwork in good condition. He used to take it off every couple of years and do a good sort out job on it, refit and reseal it. I had told him that he should get at the very least over £1000 for it. The stuborn old sod gave it away for £350 and told me to mind my own business?? The next time that I strip my fingers changing a Mini fan belt will not be the first! Change a clutch, no problems...

The next love was OHs 2CV Dolly which she had for 17 years before moving over. What a lovely car. Swine to change the points though. Front disk pads, doddle! Don't even lift a wheel off the ground!!![:D]

Early minis with the long gear lever LOL. I was going over a river bridge in pelting rain in a mini one day when the driver's side windscreen wiper detached itself and whistled through the air into the river.

I rebuilt my PA to J2 spec with aly cycle wings and made an aly bonnet for it. It was really quick. I'll try and dig out some pics of my MG's and post them, although I can't get used to the software here. Be interested to see yours too. Amazing on a small board how many people have owned MGs.

[quote user="Jonzjob"]

The next love was OHs 2CV Dolly which she had for 17 years before moving over. What a lovely car. Swine to change the points though. Front disk pads, doddle! Don't even lift a wheel off the ground!!![:D]

[/quote]

You had disc brakes on a 2CV?

Agree about the points behind the cooling fan - what a swine! 2CV was our first car on arriving in France - wish I still had it.

[quote user="sweet 17"]But, Steve, did your mini have the string instead of a handle for opening the doors and did it screech like hell if you tried changing down when the revs were too high for the lower gear?[/quote]

Of course it had string, it was a 1960 850. It also had a rubber glove (marigold ? ) over the dizzy. If MCB 999 is still around today I would love to know.

I would really like an MGB, proper one with chrome bumpers of course, but it would have to be in BRG. I even bought the  video of the "MG is Born" series ready for the future.

Powerdesal

I, too, had an MG but none of you buffs would be the slightest bit interested in it as it was a 1974 Midget, you know, the "modern" version with a huge black bumper in the front.  But, it did have twin carbs and the little wire thing in the middle of the windscreen.

I remember that the air used to whistle in from the side and it'd be freezing cold on your right wrist!

I also had a Triumph Herald and THAT was fun to drive but wouldn't get up the hills in Devon when it was fully loaded with 2 people.  Yet, I loved it.  It was black and white and looked wonderful!

and I am sure no-one is interested in my MG as it's only 4 years old ! I had no problem re-registering the MG i.e. certificate of conformity but believe it or not my 2 year old Renault Modus caused me great problems even though I pointed out to the very nice lady at the prefecture that the car is french the c of c is in the book, written in french, signed by some french chappy (I learn later that the car is actually built in Spain!) - in the end by the look on her face it seemed she threw imaginary hands in the air and said 'les anglaises', she took the paperwork and I patiently waited for the call which only took a couple of weeks.

Incidentally, I am told by a french friend that white rear plates are less easy to pick out by the speed cameras - perhaps it's down to the back to front business !! Nigs

[quote user="knee gel"]Incidentally, I am told by a french friend that white rear plates are less easy to pick out by the speed cameras - perhaps it's down to the back to front business !! Nigs[/quote]

Considering that every French speed camera I've ever seen has been forward facing it doesn't sound to be much of an advantage...[;-)]

[quote user="ErnieY"]

[quote user="knee gel"]Incidentally, I am told by a french friend that white rear plates are less easy to pick out by the speed cameras - perhaps it's down to the back to front business !! Nigs[/quote]

Considering that every French speed camera I've ever seen has been forward facing it doesn't sound to be much of an advantage...[;-)]

[/quote]

On the road from La Roche sur Yon to St Gilles there's a rear facing safety camera so beware you biker boys.

[quote user="powerdesal"]Nice car ErnieY, but I want a roadster not a GT.
[/quote]I used to have a Roadster too (in UK) but found that it was OK for a Sunday afternoon jaunt but on a long run when it was really hot and sunny I got really frizzled and dehydrated but then felt a complete pratt if I put the hood up in such weather !

For me the GT with the full Webasto is an ideal compromise.

I might add though that, contrary to my avatar, I am somewhat follically challenged so lack natural sun protection on a certain exposed area of my anatomy...[blink]