Selling a UK horse box in France

helen

Hello - please can someone help.  !urgently! In Oct 2006 we sold our UK 'Rice' horse box on Ebay France as we had bought furniture in it to oour holiday home. We said clearly it was British and had no Carte Gris. A French lady bought it for 1000Euros and when I delivered it it was towed by my British car, had my number plate on the box, and she admitted it would cost twice the price if it had has a Carte Gris. She has now emailed us (nov 07) saying she has used it for a year and is still waiting for the carte gris and registration documents and that she has sent the Gendarmes to our holiday home (we gave her a receipt with our name & French address). She says ignorance is no excuse in Law (civil code1). What do I Do - did I act illegally ? What do I do - take it back, but she admits she has used if for a year - Help please. She is very threatening in her emails.  

You should still be able to recover the Ebay ad from Ebay.  I don't think this lady has a leg to stand on.  Send her a copy of the ad from Ebay and remind her she bought it clearly withou a Carte Gris.

You can also get Ebay involved.

I wouldn't worry too much.

After a year the ad is not on Ebay so no help there unless you have a copy of the ad, but its not really Ebay's problem is it?  I agree with ric or jo, the buyer does not have a leg to stand on as it was a UK horsebox being legally used in France with a UK registered car, and she bought it as such, unless you told her otherwise, IE that it was registered had a CT etc. 

It would be the same as selling a UK or even French plated car outside of the department, it would be for the buyer to register it and make it road legal, so tell her to stop contacting you or you will call the Gendarmes and show then her E mails.......  or just ignore her, the Gendarme thing is probably a bluff anyway. 

She's bluffing. Probably thought she'd got a bargain and could get it registered (double it's value) and now found out she can't.

Also, if it was supposedly sold with CG and CT then it would have had a French registration number on it not UK would it not it !

If you had those documents then for the sake of €10 for a number plate you would not have sold it for half it's value would you ?

Tell her to go away and if she persist's don't bother with the gendarmes, get an advocat to send her an official letter. It might cost you a few € but it will definately get rid of her and give you peace of mind.

PS, John: does F.O.A.D. mean what I think it does...............................[Www]

If the horse box had been French, you would had to have written the registration number on the receipt and given her a certificate de cession.  Unless this is the case, then she can whistle.

Handy tip: 

When selling a UK registered car or a trailer in France, always mark the invoice 'véhicule/remorque provenance de Royaume-Uni.  Vendu sans carte grise.'

[quote user="Clair"]If you wanted it to sound "Frenchier", you'd say "Casse toi et va crever ailleurs"...
Not that I'd recommend saying that to anyone (unless you can run like Lindford Christie or have a fast car on stand-by!) [Www]
[/quote]

But that is what you would say to a family member, friend or a child isn't it Clair?

Surely you would not use the tutoyer to a stranger that you wanted to insult would you?  Or is this just a phrase that does not change?

"But that is what you would say to a family member, friend or a child isn't it Clair?

Surely you would not use

the tutoyer to a stranger that you wanted to insult would you?  Or is

this just a phrase that does not change?"

I would think that the use of tutoyer to a stranger, is the biggest part of the insult and I believe it's widely used by angry car drivers in particular.[6]