Priorité à droite

Cassis

[quote user="ErnieY"][quote user="Will"]...86% of British drivers in France did not know what they meant. There are some other good statistics there too, like only 17% knew the autoroute speed limits.[/quote]Frighteningly I believe that a significant number of British drivers don't know some of this stuff in UK never mind in France, and when you start asking about the meaning of road signs it gets worse.......[:-))][/quote]

Like the "white and red posts at the mouth of roads joining from the right".........[;-)]

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wasn't aware there were any. Not long ago the gendarmes were handing out leaflets to everybody entering a nearby town, giving all the rules about pedestrian crossings, presumably in advance of a bit of a purge - against pedestrians as well as drivers. There were a lot of rules, but either there isn't one about overtaking or they had forgotten about it.

Mind you, the French will have a rule covering everything you can or cannot do, in life as well as driving, and many of them seem contradictory. All you have to do is find the rule that suits you.

[quote user="Sunday Driver"]

Here's another one for the Brit drivers.....

What are the rules regarding overtaking on the approach to a pedestrian crossing?

[/quote]Oddly I have a feeling you can if there is nobody on the crossing but I still wouldn't do it (in case I'm wrong! - and I think it's mad anyway.[:-))])

What are the rules regarding overtaking on the approach to a pedestrian crossing?

In France or the UK?  In the UK You must not overtake the moving vehicle nearest the crossing or the vehicle nearest the crossing which has stopped to give way to pedestrians. Which is a nonsense as it means that you can steam along the outside and pass all cars except the first one!!

What I think is more dangerous in any country,  is to stop for a pedestrian who is not crossing from your side of the road. If you do you are inviting them to cross and as a result they may not look the right way before crossing assuming the road is clear. This used to be an automatic failure on the UK PCV and HGV test. 

[quote user="Will"]

These signs are also relevant - surprised nobody has mentioned them yet.

[IMG]http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j205/vienormande/signs_signals_france_en-2.jpg[/IMG]

But perhaps it's not surprising, In a survey by insurance group AXA (http://www.francereview.com/articles/motoring/art1.php) 86% of British drivers in France did not know what they meant. There are some other good statistics there too, like only 17% knew the autoroute speed limits.

[/quote]

GMTV did a survey at Dover once and asked travellers to France what the yellow triangle meant.  To those who said that they didn't know, they told them it meant "give way to the right", which is exactly what is doesn't mean[Www]

[quote user="Sunday Driver"][quote user="Ron Avery"]

In France or the UK? 

[/quote]

We are talking about driving in France, Ron.....[Www]

Any more offers, anyone?

[/quote]

Well that's easy then, overtaking on pedestrian crossings should be to the left  and bonus points are awarded to your license if you can hit people crossing in both directions.[:P]

Choose your answer on the "remote" on the right of the screen (there can be more than one correct reply) and press the green VAL button to validate.

Correct answer: green smily sun and the next question follows.

Incorrect answer: red sad sun and at the bottom of the screen, you can click on the yellow back arrow for the explanation. Then click on VAL to continue.

I remember learning the meaning of these signs (AB6 & AB7) from filling out the "I Spy in France" booklet we took on holiday to France with our children many years ago. Perhaps the AA/RAC should give out copies of this booklet at the ferry ports instead (assuming it is still in print)

Brian

[quote user="ErnieY"]If there were an English translation of the C dl R then I would buy it but as far as I have been able to discover the best there is is from HERE or from WHSmith who I think are offering the same thing, but the price of €20 is a bit hard to swallow, especially as it's not a complete translation.[/quote]

It is your responsibility as a car driver in France to know  the Code de la route, my advice would be to buy it and read it, with the help of a dictionary if necessary, it's not that difficult to understand, lots of pics for the Sun readers out there[6][:D]

[quote user="ErnieY"]If there were an English translation of the C dl R then I would buy it but ......[/quote]

We're in France, why would it be published in English?

I bought a copy of the Michelin C de la R 15,90€; it is a cut down version in that it doesn't contain all of the regulations, and it's aimed at learner drivers really. BUT it has lots of photographs and diagrams and is very easy to understand. It certainly covers all of the basics. For SD's overtaking question my copy says "le dépassement est toujours interdit à l'approche d'un passage piétons si quelqu'un est engagé" (my block italics), presuambly allowing it otherwise.

We attended a meeting recently for UK ex-pats and organised by the area council; one of the Brits stood up to complain that all of the forms he's required to fill-in are in French! Enough said.

Sid

I don't think I complained about it sid did I ?

It was just an observation and a comment that I would buy one if it existed which is not to say that I wouldn't or won't buy the French one now I know it doesn't.

English is my first language and until my skills in French is up to a decent standard I think it's self evident that I would learn and understand the rules more quickly and more fully from an English version than the French one via BabelFish and a dictionary.

Ernie, it sounded as though you hadn't read it because there wasn't an English version; not a complaint, but an excuse maybe? Apologies if I misinterpreted it.

Anyway, have a look in the bookshops or the larger supermarkets, and browse a copy of the Michelin C de la R (there is another one, but I can't remember who by). You'll see that it is quite good, and easy to follow. Armed with a dictionary it's even easier and good for your French too.

I can't understand how anyone can expect to drive here and not know the rules.

Sid

[quote user="Sunday Driver"]What do the "white and red posts at the mouth of roads joining from the right" signify, and what is their contribution (if any) to the priorité a droite rule? [/quote]I think that, at least outside an agglomération, they show that the road really is a road (where the p.à.d. rule applies in the absence of a priority sign) as opposed to a private driveway, or an entry or exit belonging to a car park or filling station or whatever (where the p.à.d. rule does not apply).

I haven't found any reliable confirmation of this, but it makes sense : if it isn't the case, how exactly would you know when a road is not a road?