Help with my TomTom

Weedon

I have a TomTom Go 500. 

I bought a new map of Western Europe to download from TT. 

Before I tried to download the map I did a complete backup, plus I carried out a backup, following different instructions, of my favourites. 

I then tried to download the new map to my device, but got a message [insufficient memory], so I deleted the old map and tried again but still [insufficient memory] 

I bought a new 2GB memory card, placed it into the device and downloaded my new map, which took 3 hours! 

Now when I start the TT I get a picture of the card flying out with a red cross on it. 

I have emailed TT technical for advice (so far no reply) and I have looked through a lot of the TT website for help.  Now that I have had time to think about it, is this my solution:- 

A:  Carry out a backup of my new map on my new card.

B:  Carry out restore of the backup carried out initially on my original mem card.

C:  Delete the original map.

D:  Carry out restore of my new map.

E:  Copy and paste my favourites

Should I have done something to my new card before placing it into the slot of my TT

Hi Weedon,

I am assuming you also have the operating system files on the new sd card along with your new map.

Sometimes if you get a message showing insufficient memory you have to 'Clear Flash' the memory.

See below from the TomTom website also click on the link and scroll to the bottom of the page to download the clear flash tool.

FROM TOMTOM SUPPORT PAGE

What to do if the activation fails

Make sure you have the latest version of the TomTom application installed on your TomTom device or PDA / phone with NAVIGATOR 6. For assistance see: How to check for and install an updated version of the TomTom application?
Note: For previous version of  PDA and Mobile Navigation, check www.tomtom.com/downloads.

The map collection for Western Europe (DVD) is an accessory. On a PDA or phone you can only activate this accessory if you already have a full version of the TomTom NAVIGATOR 6 application and map.

If you can’t activate a map on your TomTom GO / ONE / RIDER, click on of the download buttons below and follow the instructions to run the TomTom Clear Flash tool.

http://www.tomtom.com/support/index.php?Language=1&query=ACTIVATION%20go%20910&FID=82

cheers

pete

Did you buy your SD card from a reputable source?  Some of these 99 cent specials on ebay are a rip-off.  What happens is that they are small cards (maybe only 128Mb) with a bit of compression software to make them appear bigger, they are then printed up to look like Sandisk or Kingston etc.  One of the dead giveaways is that if you copy a large file (say > 1Gb to a 2 Gb disk) it sould take in the order of seconds to a few minutes then read it back.  If it takes hours (as in your case) it could be a fake.  Theres quite a lot of info on ebay about this.  Please try the other suggestions before you flip it in the bin though.  It may just be a case of having to reformat the card.

Weedon,

One other thing I have thought of - is the map one of the new version 7 maps? if so, are you running version 7 navcore on your device? if not, you will need to upgrade via the TomTom site and using TomTom Home on your computer ( it is a free upgrade BTW) let me know if I can be of more help.

cheers

pete

Thanks Pistebeast and Pierre for your replies.

All is now well because I managed to speak to a proper person at TomTom who emailed me the correct information to follow, which I did, and after a couple of hiccups got it going again.

I didn't appreciate I would have to do something to the SD card before I placed it into the TT.  I just thought the operating stuff was inside the TT and the card was just a storage device.

Pierre, maybe I am just naturally suspicious but I have never bought anything from Ebay.  I have bought things off Amazon, including the Works Suite you kindly offered advice with yesterday.  I bought the SD card (Dane-Elec) from LeClerc, maybe I could have got it cheaper elswhere but you get nothing for nothing do you?

Thanks again

I’m glad you got your problem sorted out.  I’ve found the following website useful for information and help with Satellite Navigation: http://www.yournav.com

TomTom currently have a ‘Download Sale’ on their website (tomtom.com) – the latest country specific maps are £29.95 and Europe £44.95 for most models.  There are maps for all the GO models right back to the original GO.  (You may need to buy a new larger SD card than the one originally supplied).

[quote user="David_Janet"]

Weedon,

Another excellent site for all things GPS is this one (Pocket GPS World - the link takes you directly to the TomTom Go forum:)

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewforum&f=93

Regards

David

[/quote]

Thanks for that David.  You have just introduced me to another site where I can spend/waste hours[geek]

Hi David

I also had this problem, with the picture of the SD coming out of the slot, I found out, and was told after calling them, that the new card had to be  autherised before it would function.

I tried to download a French map, so did a friend, neither of us could manage it, I tried man times, when tom tom came up with tom tom home I managed to get the download, but all in all it was a saga.

Used it this week in France, but maybe I have not got the knack of it in France, found it difficult to find places, in the UK postcode in, and away you go, I think because the postcodes in France seem to cover a very large area, it gets you close but not to the actual place.

When it told us to turn right at 80 yards on the motorway, with no junction, we were getting worried.

Colin