Blood alcohol levels

Suandpete

AS far as I am aware the laws here in France  allow a slightly lower level of alcohol in blood for drivers than in UK.  I normally have one glass of wine if I  am driving and no more.  I  have however heard rumours that the legally allowed level has been cut to zero. I have seen nothing in the papers about this but the person who told me is adamant that the legal levels have been changed.  Has anyone else heard this?  

I suspect that the person who told you this has recently passed their test? I had the same from my son a few years ago - he was adamant that the levels were zero!! It is drummed into the youngsters that their is a zero tolerance of alcohol whilst driving by the Gendarmes. Daughter is currently being told the same.

It's a sensible thing to tell them but it then gives them the idea that the blood/alcohol level is zero and this lead to misinformation.

Re: the site Ernie suggested I have noticed an error as it has Malta's safe limit down twice - once at 0.0 and once at 0.8 - which makes me less confident of the rest of the information.

I was surprised to see that one could still drive in another country if one had been banned in another - apparently one's licence is sent back to DVLA who then pass it straight back to the driver.  Very odd I thought!

Pix

Well spotted Pixie and further resarch shows other conflicts, HERE for instance, Lituania is supposely 0.4 but the other site has it as 0.0

If you are going to have a drink and drive then be sure you know conclusively what the limits are for the country you are in. The fact remains though that the ONLY 100% safe policy is zero !

Re bans not applying across the board, whilst I believe there may be an agreement in principal in place I think it has not been brought into law yet due to the diversity of national standards and considering the obvious complexities of harmonisation it could be some time before it is.

I've said it before, sometimes it seems about the only thing the EU zone has in common is the Euro [:-))]

[quote user="ErnieY"]

1. If you are going to have a drink and drive then be sure you know conclusively what the limits are for the country you are in.

2. I've said it before, sometimes it seems about the only thing the EU zone has in common is the Euro [:-))]

[/quote]

1. The legal limits are interesting but irrelevant unless I have a testing kit and the knowledge and inclination to use it.

2. And even the € is not in use in the majority of member states.

John