Driving Licence at age 70

BluegrassFreak

I currently have a UK driving licence which expires when I am 70 years old.

Having checked on the DVLA web site it only allows you to renew the licence (online) if you are resident in the UK.

Does anyone know what the procedures are for a Non-Resident to renew his UK driving licence under these circumstances?

Is there any merit (and is it permissable) to exchange it for a French driving licence before it expires? and is there an age limit on a French licence ?

Many thanks

My Dad  exchanged his UK licence for a French one when he was 80 years old (so he had already had to renew in the UK more than once). There was no problem or query and there does not seem to be an expiry date.  Indeed that is why he changed it!

This was about 4 years ago and the exchange was free.  You will be told that you "do not need" to exchange it, just say it is "more convenient" to have a French one.  You may feel it necessary to check if rules on expiry have changed.

hope this helps

Mrs H,

Expiring UK licences are not currently renewable for foreign residents, so you will need to exchange it for a French one before it expires (eg before you reach 70). The exchange process is straightforward and you will then have a licence which lasts for life without having to be renewed every year.

You apply to your prefecture and provide them with usual proof of ID and address together with a couple of photographs.  Your old UK licence is retained by them and sent back to the DVLA.  Your Mairie will have the necessary forms and will even help you fill them in and send them off for you.

Sorry to be pedantic SD, but perhaps it would be better to say:

"where I live you have apply to your prefecture and provide them with usual proof of ID and address together with a couple of photographs.  Your old UK licence is retained by them and sent back to the DVLA.  Our Mairie has the necessary forms and  even help you fill them in and send them off for you.

In many other French departments notably those in the South west with large areas, the sous-prefectures issue driving licenses and deal with car related matters. Consequently few if any Mairies particularly in rural areas have the forms for driving licenses or any other car related issues. You must also provide a stamped addressed envelope with your application.

[quote user="Sunday Driver"]

The exchange process is straightforward and you will then have a licence which lasts for life without having to be renewed every year.

[/quote]

Unless you return to the UK in which case it remains valid until aged 70 or for three years after becoming resident, whichever is the longer period

Also, when exchanging your licence, make sure you have both bits (the paper as well as the plastic card) because you will be (ought to be; probably will be) asked for them both.

I had not taken the paper bit with me (1. I had forgotten; 2. I couldn't remember where it was) ... "no problem, just send it in the post when you find it" (but don't count on such a helpful response).