France to Spain

krusty

[quote user="krusty"]

We are going to Spain at the end of this month , mappy has sugested a route going through tunnel de Puymorens near Andorra (N20)

Has anyone used this route ?

Limoges to Barcelona

thanks

[/quote]

Treat yourself to a TomTom Western Europe, one of best things we ever bought.

We went from Coussac Conneval to Alicante but used autoroute  from France to Spain and although a few more km. we found it ok and drove in 2 days to south of Alicante.

We have had a holiday in the Pyrennies near Andora but were thinking in case weather was bad to drive longer route.

Returned same way fortunately as route via centre of

Spain had severe gales and snow in late march!!!!!!!!!!!

RECOMMEND CHECK WEATHER BEFOREHAND..

Weird. We used to do Barcelona to my wife's family in Brittany every August for 5 years. Never went that way!

BCN-Girona-Perpignon-Toulouse-Bordeaux, and up the Atlantic coast, for you it would be Toulouse-Brive-Limoges.

Even more so at this time of year as roads in Alta Catalunya (up towards Andorra and the Pyrennes), and even the E15 can be shut for days by snow.

Quick word of caution, if you've not been recently, be very, very careful out of the touristy bits in central Barcelona, there is an army of migrants with no jobs, no homes, no social secutity, but they do have knives.

[quote user="breizh"]

Quick word of caution, if you've not been recently, be very, very careful out of the touristy bits in central Barcelona, there is an army of migrants with no jobs, no homes, no social secutity, but they do have knives.

[/quote]

Did you ask them , briezh!

Never driven it personally but looking at the route on Autoroute on my PC it looks a bit tortuous so I guess it depends on whether you're looking to do the trip at a leisurely pace or more briskly.

Autoroute say 621km via the tunnel de Puymorens as opposed to 681km via the coastal route.  

The roads on either side of the tunnel aren't very special.

I'd advise Toulouse..Narbonne...Perpignan...Girone

And I'd second the advice about the dangers of pickpockets etc in central Barcelona.

Don't forget too that if you bank card doesn't come back out of the machine after you tapped in the PIN number, the machine has been rigged, and someone will come and recuperate the card as soon as you leave.

If you lose the card like this telephone and cancel it even before you leave the machine..

Quite a lot of places in Spain still don't require PIN number, just a signature on a slip, so the thieves can hava a lot of fun withs your card.

This and the theft of bags etc has plagued the stay of several of my friends.

I go down to the area quite frequently as it's only just over 2 hours from me, but I tend to stay in Girone, and go in for the day by train.

It saves parking problems, and Girona is a much nicer place to sleep.