DRIVING FROM MONTLUCON (CREUSE) TO CALAIS

eniamor

Having never driven the route before I can only suggest the following.

Leave Montlucon on the A71 then onto the A10 to junction 13 then onto the N154 for Chartres then onto Dreux and Evreux. North of Evreux you pick up the A154 and then the A13. At junction 13 leave the A13 and pick up the D18E signed Rouen crossing La Seine on the Pont Mathilde. Pick up the N28 then A28 to junction 23 and then onto the A16 onto Calais. A total of 395 miles from the centre of Montlucon to the ferry terminal.

If you went the original route via Paris its a total of 390 miles but will be quicker as it is a faster route.

Hope this is of help to you and enjoy your journey whichever one you take.[:)]

STeve

As posted recently elsewhere, the Paris route is not difficult. Just follow signs for Lille and avoid rush-hour. My experience of the Dreux/Evreux route is that it was slow and tedious. I wouldn't use it again.

For ease, and possibly speed, (journey time!) if not necessarily the shortest mileage, take A71 to Orleans, and then go West on the N157 to Le Mans, joining the A28 just East of Le Mans.  Follow the A28 all the way, around Rouen and on to Abbeville, where it “becomes” the A16.  That goes right into Calais.  As a guide, Le Mans to Calais is an easy 4.5 hours.

If you wanted to go this way, why not go via Tours (A85/A28) ?

Any mapper will send you via Paris (via Orleans) and up the A1 to Arras. This isn't too bad, providing you don't go at a busy time of day. You can also go via Versailles and the N184 up the West side of Paris, join the A16 to Amiens.

Alternatives are all via Rouen - this means you have to go through Rouen which isn't too difficult :-

The Chartres/Dreux Route (mostly N154) - patchy, but improving steadily. There are two rubbish bits ; from the A10 to Chartres and from Dreux to Nonancourt on the A12 ; the rest is dual carriageway.

Go via Le Mans (either via Tours or Orleans)

I did once avoid both by turning off the A10 just before the A11 junction, going up the N10 towards Versailles and heading towards the Meru area on the A16 ; it isn't difficult but not that speedy.

I'm sure I've seen this question recently, maybe on another forum.

Edit: There's almost exactly the same question in another thread -- Eniamor, are you Scottish by any chance?

http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/1186621/ShowPost.aspx

Depending on where you start from in the UK (anywhere outside Kent!) it would probably be better to use one of the Western Channel routes, Caen for example. Try using Via Michelin or Multimap to compare the mileages and times on both sides of the channel.

I agree with Plod about the N154.

We tried it last week coming back up from the Pyrenees as an alternative route and it was a real pain.  Loads of roundabouts and towns/villages to get through.  They are in the process of  making it dual carriageway but it looks like it will be a long time before its finished.

[quote user="Red Dwarf"]

Follow the A28 all the way, around Rouen and on to Abbeville, where it “becomes” the A16. 

[/quote]

But the A28 doesn't go all round Rouen - if only it did!  We went that way in the Easter holidays. Mappy sends you through the middle of Rouen and on the A13 for a few miles.  On the way south it was OK - Sunday afternoon, roads fairly quiet, but on Saturday (4 days ago) on the way back, the road signs just didn't tally with Mappy's route and we ended up guessing our way through Rouen and joining the A28 a bit further north.  If ever a city needed a ring road!  There must be a better way from the A28 to the A28 without going through the middle of Rouen - any ideas?  Next time I think we will do a wider circle on smaller roads.