A plug on an electric cooker - is this right?

Help!

New built house - new electrics etc.

Electrician wired the ceramic hotplate directly to a flat plastic thing on the wall ( don't know technical term but similar to U.K) This works fine.

The built in oven, (which we are now about to use for the first time) the electrician fitted a plug to the cable. It looks like a solid type of plug - but I can't understand why this is and if it's ok.

Also, how can we tell which socket we should use for this plug? will we blow a fuse or several if we get it wrong?

Electric hotplates vary typically between 5 - 10kw so need to be wired directly to a connection box, and fed seperately from a minimumm 6mm supply cable on a 32 amp circuit breaker or fuse.

Electric ovens are typically 2.4 - 3KW maximum and therefore can be connected directly via a 16 amp socket outlet, which again ideally should be wired on a seperate supply back to the fuseboard, on a 16 amp or 20 amp circuit breaker using 2.5mm cable. That is why some ovens come fitted with a 16 amp moulded plug. However in France there are 16 amp, 20 amp and 32 amp plugs available, so this has to be taken into account depending on the appliance KW rating.

These are the standard requirements but with such a large choice of available appliances these days, the better solution is to check the power rating plate of each appliance before connecting up to any supply.

Paul

We have had conflicting advice from the electrician and his mate about which particular socket we should use for the cooker.

Is there anyway of knowing?

We do have one socket that has two  wires ( two red, two yellow and two blue) wired to the socket unlike the others which has just one red, yellow, blue wire, but it is clearly connected to another socket ( if I move the wires the other wires move!!!)

Just before I bought our place I visited. The lady of the house was great. She explained that they had created a new kitchen etc. and never bothered putting in the oven because it wasn't immediately necessary, the hob had both electric and gas.

I then bought an oven and had a local put it in. Then the problems emerged. The electric supply for the oven had not been built in to the new kitchen. donc removal of units, worktop, creation of new socket..

Femme Ecosse menonge.

---

Anyhow I can confirm your story about the plug. A weird looking thing. In fact my oven supplier (expert) would have been happy to install it had the outlet been there !

Good luck.

I recently installed a new oven in one of my gites and it is less than 10amps so I reckon you're ok. It's not wired to a plug but it is connected to a dedicated 10A fused supply. The fuse hasn't blown yet so I guess the spec details were correct ! As someone has already said it is the hob (if electric) that draws most current. In many under counter ovens you can only use either the grill or the oven at any one time so this keeps the current down.

The book "L'installation electrique" shows plug/socket for ovens and all other large elec items - washing machine, drier, dishwasher, fridge or freezer. All these sockets have their own dedicated MCBs.

The book makes no mention of elec hotplates, these would normally be gas as the electricity demand must be kept down to keep to a lower tariff!!

Interesting point - our UK oven was on a plug and socket, on a ring main spur.