Left hand drive cars - Cheaper in the UK

Bannon

Our faithful LHD Berlingo - bought a few year back in Belgium, has finally given up after 360,000k. No complaints, she was a good runner and little trouble. The thing is we are now looking for a second hand LHD and sort of wondered if they might be cheaper in the UK.

We've done the usual web searches and many have vehicles on them that are either sold or do not seem to exist. One has had a nice little LHD on their site for weeks after even though it's been 'sold'. Talk about time wasting!

Any ideas folks?

I did put a similar query in the " shopping " shopping for a car in Spain , but got no feed back  so I feel like it was a stupid idea. Binned![:$]

So I am following your thread -  we want just a LHD , French reg small car , diesal, second hand no part ex  but will pay in sterling.[:-))]

We followed up 2 adverts in UK for above spec , the cars did not even exist when friends went  to call cold! [:D]

From what I have seen, LHD prices in the UK have rocketed to level or even dearer than French prices.

It wasnt that long ago when you could hardly give away a LHD car in UK, but people have cottoned on to the fact that they can be worth decent money here, and are asking a lot for them now.

The odd bargain still turns up, but its hard to find.

Have a quick browse on ebay.co.uk with "LHD" in the search box. There are plenty for sale, but prices arent any cheaper than here, especially once you have factored in going to get it, driving it back to france and paying for certificate of conformity and possibly LHD headlights if the originals are gone.

[quote user="milkeybar kid"]

I did put a similar query in the " shopping " shopping for a car in Spain , but got no feed back  so I feel like it was a stupid idea. Binned![:$]

So I am following your thread -  we want just a LHD , French reg small car , diesal, second hand no part ex  but will pay in sterling.[:-))]

We followed up 2 adverts in UK for above spec , the cars did not even exist when friends went  to call cold! [:D]

[/quote]

Not such a stupid idea.  [:D]

I often see fairly new Renault cars on Spanish plates for sale on the forecourt of the local Renault dealer.

Sorry if I missed your earlier posting.

[quote user="dave21478"]

From what I have seen, LHD prices in the UK have rocketed to level or even dearer than French prices.

It wasnt that long ago when you could hardly give away a LHD car in UK, but people have cottoned on to the fact that they can be worth decent money here, and are asking a lot for them now.

The odd bargain still turns up, but its hard to find.[/quote]

Quite true, I bought my current car in UK and paid something like a £1k premium over what the equivalent RHD would have cost, but crucially still cheaper than what it would have cost in France !

• 3 weeks later...

Well....

I've managed to locate a suitable LHD vehicle in the UK at what seems a fair price, trouble is, I do not know the dealer or his reputation. Not to 'name and shame anyone' but would it be OK do you think to ask on this forum about this particular dealer to see if anybody has had dealing with them?

[quote user="Bannon"]I've managed to locate a suitable LHD vehicle in the UK at what seems a fair price, trouble is, I do not know the dealer or his reputation. Not to 'name and shame anyone' but would it be OK do you think to ask on this forum about this particular dealer to see if anybody has had dealing with them?[/quote]

There's no problem asking for opinions about a specific company. However, posters who reply should bear in mind the forum Code of Conduct, which states:

• There is to be no

'naming and shaming' on the site. If you have any complaints about

particular individuals/companies then contact the relevant parties or

authorities.
Users must not post messages which:

• Are insulting, abusive,

racist, sexist, or derogatory in any way to others, whether they are

individuals or companies, users of the Forum or not.

• Make libellous comments about individuals or companies.

Forum moderators

I bought my BMW from my local concessionaire.  He gave me a good deal with extras thrown in.  The car was about the same price as an equivalent RHD model in the UK (but who wants one of those in France) and marginally more expensive than if I bought one in Germany.  However, by the time I'd factored in travel costs, potential disappointment after viewing, import costs etc, the difference just wasn't worth the hassle.

I also get excellent customer service....... [:D]