camping gaz

Athene

Hello all caravaners!

please can you help me? We are buying in the UK a UK caravan that has all its paperwork for France. (The seller brought it back to sell!) We intend to take it back to France for use there where we are domiciled. I just want to know if a UK gas bottle can we used in France? Are the bottles the same as in the UK ie when the bottle is empty, can I swap it over in France for a full one? Is there a choice of using either butane or propane and which do you all use please?

You will need to buy a  French gas bottle if you want to exchange it in France, for a choice see below. Normaly if you do winter caravaning in cold climates you would use propane and the rest of the year you could use butane

BUTANE

Butane liquefied petroleum gas – LPG – is one of two gases used in

caravanning. It is supplied in blue cylinders and burns slightly hotter

than propane, the other gas. For a given cylinder size you also get

slightly more butane than propane. However, butane will not ‘gas’ below

1°C, whereas propane will do so down to -40°C, so butane is unsuitable

early and late in the season. Many year-round caravanners, prefer to

stick with propane all year.

The replies given have just about summed it up. I brought a UK caravan with us and finally got round to registering it last year. Part of the process involved having the gas installation checked; are you saying that you already have a certificate from Bureau Veritas? If not, then I recommend that you ditch the UK gas bottles while you're in the UK, they're no use here, and fit out your 'van with French bottles. Replace your flexible gas pipe at the same time. There are several different types of regulator available, I went for a clip-on type, having still had the old screw-on ones in England. Choose a bottle type which you can get at your local petrol service station for convenience.

Happy caravanning

Sid

We used "Camping Gaz" for a year or so, until a kind French shopkeeper pointed out that the price for THIRTEEN kilograms of Butane in a French Cylinder was the same as for 2.75 kg in a camping Gaz cylinder.

We bought a cylinder and a regulator and have been using it in our caravan, (not the same cylinder,[;-)]), for fifteen years.

[quote user="Athene"]Yes we have the paperwork completed on the caravan but I think the last owners will need to sign that they have sold it?

[/quote]

I suppose that you know you need more than just a signature? "Certificat de non-gage" "certificate de cession d'un vehicule", much the same as selling a car, but of course no CT.

If you need it here is a link to the forms required: http://www.interieur.gouv.fr/sections/a_votre_service/vos_demarches/vehicules?b_start:int=0