Just A Warning

vervialle

My son was at the Le Mans 24 hour this weekend and when driving home with his boss in a very nice Aston Martin they were done for speeding, they were late for the tunnel and trying to make time up. I have no sympathy whatsoever with them when they were done for speeding on the  main drag to Calais.My son said there were Gendarmes on every junction ,and you cannot blame them with thousands of English, driving back in these flash cars..But why I am mentioning this, as well as the fine, his boss was banned from driving in France for two months.Now that would snooker me ,and whilst I am a very law abiding driver, just occasionally you might not be concentrating, so just want to warn others, it is not just a case of a fine it could possibly ruin someones holiday.Beware and drive within the speed limits.

I believe there is a sort of sliding scale of fines and bans, depending on how much over the speed limit the driver was doing.    Perhaps someone else can be more specific ????  (I bet the gendarmes also wanted a good look at the car !)

The driver was doing 160 in 110 km speed limit, no excuses here and I have no sympathies, but I did not realise they were banning drivers from driving in France, I am sure this is a new inniative, and really wanted to warn people, money is not the easy answer, they are taking matters further, perhaps a good thing, as I think U.K. Drivers just think, well a fine and all is well.If I was banned from driving in France for two months it would have enormous effects, and it would have grave consequences, so money cannot get you out of it anymore.

I don't think it is a recent initiative.

Your story does bring back to mind something I read a couple of years ago, about a British national who had been caught speeding in similar circumstances and being told his driving licence was suspended.

Shortly afterwards, he returned to France on holiday, but ended up spending a night in the clink with a substancially lighter wallet after being caught at the wheel by the French plods.

He was left wondering if he had been "clocked" driving off the ferry...

Remember Lewis Hamilton being caught speeding in France a few months ago and having his licence suspended for a month?

What about the Gumball drivers, being left stranded without either a car or a licence after being caught speeding in France (and Switzerland)?

Don't tell me: they got him leaving the Tunnel de Hardelot, where the limit is lowered from 130 to 110, and the flics stand at the exit, backlit so you can't see 'em, with laser goggles?

Seen loads of folk get done there. It's handy as there is a peage within a couple of miles, so they don't need to stop you[:@]

Not a new initiative at all.  The ban depends on the speed and the difference between the speed limit and the speed that you're travelling at, if it's too much of a difference, it's usually an automatic ban and has been so for some years.  I recall a similar thread on here a few years ago, agaion about le Mans and I seem to recall on that occassion, the car was impounded as well.

I posted something about this earlier this year after somebody I know was busted and banned on the spot, quite rightly so for the speed he was doing after boasting the previous night how quickly he could get between 24 and Calais.

As my commune's road safety person no sympathy at all.

I agree with Tony F - being banned for speeding is certainly not a new initiative.  Foreigners are expected to obey the traffic laws as much as the French are.  So if a Frenchman is banned for speeding, why not a foreigner????  It's tough if you're on holiday, but it may be better to miss the ferry........ "never run after a bus or a man, there'll always be another along later".

"My son said there were Gendarmes on every junction"

And his boss still kept on speeding?

Reminds me of the couple pulled in a Ferarri on the way down to Le Mans a couple of years ago.  The driver got an instant ban so his friend took over.  A few miles later, the car was stopped again for speeding and the friend got banned....[:-))]

A few weeks ago on the A26 at the peagĆ© between J4 and J3 I saw a very nice brand spanking new Bentley (on Brit plates) stopped by the gendarmes, as were a good many other cars.  I think he was being invited to contribute funds to the French coffers.

Anyway I passed by but a few Kms down the road he came tanking past me like I was going backwards (I estimate well over 200 kph) and guess what? A second speed trap!  This time he was pulled and I think he had a little explaining to do.  I suppose that if you can afford a new Bentley then a few bob on speeding fines is nothing, taking your license away (and maybe even 'Good morning Magistrate') may be a deterrant.

I'm a reformed character after getting caught once (deservedly) for speeding but I admit I'm no angel and I'm sure my speed does drift a little over the limit sometimes (who can honestly say they don't) but this guy was seriously taking the water and I'm sure Les Flics are fed up with speedsters like this

[quote user="Pierre ZFP"]

I suppose that if you can afford a new Bentley then a few bob on speeding fines is nothing, taking your license away (and maybe even 'Good morning Magistrate') may be a deterrant.

[/quote]

And if his name appears on the 'carte grise' then the police can be authorised to confiscate the car...[;-)]

Instant Ban if your above any speed limit by 50 KPH also with a 750 Euro on the spot fine which if not paid you dont get the car back even if you have a spare driver in the car with BOTH parts of his driving licence.

I'm sure I read recently that the fatality rate on French roads is about double the British one although both countries have roughly the same number of drivers (have I got my facts right?)

And as excess speed has been proved to be a killer, it's no wonder the police in France are cracking down on speeding as I do believe there is some sort of initiative to improve the appalling statistics. 

Off the topic of the annual gendarmes v the lemansters competition, but there have always seemed to me to be other issues here, as to why the accident rate is high in France, apart from speed.  The lack of use of indicators, the habit of sitting so close to your rear bumper that you cannot even see the plates of the car behind, and the fact that drivers here don't seem to want to change down to overtake, cannot help.  It seems to me that there's a flaw somewhere in the way people are taught to drive in France - or is this just a false impression on my part?

It's possible to drive dangerously at any speed - but the consequences are of course worse the faster you are driving.

I agree with Coops.

Only a couple of days ago, I was saying to Mr Clair, as we commented on a stunning display of reckless driving, that people here are taught how to drive a car but are not taught road risk assessement.

Hence the overtaking no matter what, when or how...

[quote user="Clair"]... are not taught road risk assessement.[/quote]

How true, and that in a country with the priorite a droite rule.

I know from observation how PaD is observed by local drivers (mostly as my priority - I insist on it, your priority - not if I can help it) but would be very interested to hear about it from someone who learned to drive in France.  How is it taught and why so widely ignored on country roads where the vehicle with priority is so often a tractor or a moped.

[quote user="vervialle"]Did notice more speed cameras in France in the spring,next thing it will be the white vans we have here with camras attached.Am stiill suprised to see french drivers speeding by me on the motorways in France.[/quote]

There are unmarked cars with the camera lens hidden in the bumper (saw a news item on this).

Once we were driving behind an Auto ecole vehicle with a young girl at the wheel and what I assumed was her instructor beside her.  She drove down the slip road onto the dual carriageway in Angers, weaving all over the place......and well over the clearly marked speed limit.  If the driving instructor allows her to do this, he should be excommunicated, shot and....out of a job.  Having said this, I have also seen some  young 'A' drivers driving very correctly, and well.

[quote user="Callie"][quote user="vervialle"]Did notice more speed cameras in France in the spring,next thing it will be the white vans we have here with camras attached.Am stiill suprised to see french drivers speeding by me on the motorways in France.[/quote]

There are unmarked cars with the camera lens hidden in the bumper (saw a news item on this).

[/quote]

I saw one a few weeks ago on the RN (138 I think). A metallic grey estate with a silvery box about 10" cubed on the back bumper, parked on the verge. No gendarmes in sight, though.