changing headlights to continental

merliauds

No reason to get flamed, JR - you are absolutely right in what you say.

When I imported my first Hymer Mercedes 410D camper from Germany, I initially swopped the original German lenses for UK spec ones, but it made no difference to the beam pattern.  Fortunately the lamps were electrically adjustable so I was able to sort things out with an extra bit of hammer work.  I have also seen articles on UK motorhome websites explaining how to modify and rotate the bulb holders in later model Hymers in the same way that JR (and Will previously) described.

Many current car models have a switch-over lever behind or on top of the headlamp unit, although strangely enough, my French BMW 5 series does not.  Perhaps BMW didn't think anyone in France would want to visit the UK.....[:(]

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps your French BMW is switchable because it's a RHD car (for whatever reason).  I suppose the logic is that if a RHD car owner wants to drive anywhere outside the UK (except Ireland) then he'll end up in a country which drives on the right.  At least us Frenchies have a bigger choice living in continental Europe....[;-)]

It passed with the tape.

[quote user="Sunday Driver"]

Obtaining the necessary equipment to modify one's vehicle to comply with French traffic law should be done before arriving here, otherwise if you can't get the necessary parts within the time limit for registration, then you can't legally continue to drive the car.  

In terms of expense, it's just one of the costs of moving to France which should be taken into account before anyone moves over here.   

[/quote]Of course, SD, I agree with you - I hope that goes without saying - the law is the law. 

However, they didn't do it in advance (for reasons which were unforseeable).  I have pointed out their legal position to them.  But in the circumstances, when somebody asks me how to re-register their car, I tell them, and have helped them, as much as I can, to correct their mistakes now.  Unlike many who would just have continued on UK plates for months, they are doing what they can to comply now. Yes, they went about it the wrong way and in the wrong order, but the fact that they are trying seems to me to be a better outcome than doing nothing at all.  We're off to the prefecture next week and then they will have a car insured and registered here, on French plates.  It will have sticky tape for a couple of weeks instead of the correct headlamps but they'll be 90% there - instead of 0%, which they would have been if I'd just said, "Sorry, what you're doing is wrong.  Go away, I can't help you."

In the meantime, thanks to JR's posts, we'll try to adjust the beams between us, using your little tip.  Cheers.[B]

Cooperlola

I tried to return your PM but it wasnt working atn that time, I have to return to hospital for another opertaion so will contact you again when I return, likely to be more than a week though.

En principe, and also subject to regaining sufficient vision for close work i could modify a pair of bulbs and send them to you to try, as a guines pig if you liker!

This was something that i had considered offering before &s a service but was too busy with the renovation work and alzso got flamed more than once when i described the procedure to help others.

• 6 months later...

Apologies for bumping an old thread, but has anyone else fallen foul of the supposedly new tougher CT test since Jan 1st? http://www.frenchentree.com/fe-lavie/DisplayArticle.asp?ID=31647

Is it no longer possible to pass with modified bulbs as outlined in this thread and must we now replace the entire Headlight for LHD units to pass? I could of course have got the allignment slighlty out in which case does anyone know of an accurate way to allign them other than just by eye?

Andy

Andy

Thanks for your E-mail, sorry that your car didnt pass after following my instructions, I hope that it was just malalignment or misinterpretation.

FWIW mine passed about 2 weeks ago at a new CT centre with a compliment on the headlight conversion and my French, he told me that he has many other English clients (some for more than 10 years) and I was the first to not have stick on deflectors and to be able to communicate with him.

SD's advice is good but the codes would not cover rotational alignment or beam cut off, unless they are insisting on E4 (or perhaps E1 its been a long time) markings on the headlights as a UK SVA test centre does I dont think that the problem is that they were (and perhaps are still aligned as) RHD headlights.

What beam pattern did you see after modification ?

Thanks for your replies.

SD it failed on 41112 and it was the Faisceau non-conforme part that they highlighted.

J.R your instructions were spot on, once I'd established what Lugs and Flanges were :). I thought I had managed to achieve the mirror of the original with the horizontal and a slight kick up to the right but perhaps I over did it slightly. If you have managed to get a car through since January then I will persevere and try the local garage to get them alligned exactly

Hi Colin,

Assuming that altering the bulbs is still a viable option for passing the CT, I would say that should be your first route although J.R or others will be able to tell you whether the same technique will work on a Jag.

Otherwise you will need to replace the whole Headlight Unit. A Breakers Yard will be your cheapest bet and one in France will of course be a better source of LHD ones but again being a Jag they might not be that easy to come by. Failing that, its either Ebay or a Jag dealer in France if there is such a thing

Andy

We had our Discovery 03 plate's lights converted late January.  Cost 700euors for the parts 120 euros labour.  Not cheap but at least compliant!  Next trick is for the carte grise.  We now also have the certificate of conformity (in french) but do we need to have the paper work from the Hotels des Impots which allows you 30 days to register or not?? 

Thanks in advance

Yes, you need the hotel des impots certificate to prove that import VAT (where necessary) has been accounted for before you can drive the car in France.  The certificate then allows you to drive it under it's old foreign plates for a month whilst you complete the registration formalities.  This period is extended to four months if the vehicles requires a DRIRE inspection.

Once this period of grace is up, the vehicle can only be driven under a temporary WW carte grise which is valid for fifteen days to allow trips to CT testing station, prefecture, etc.

Fiona, just a word of encouragement and reassurance that the anticipation is far worse than the reality.

Like many in the beginning I was pretty ignorant of the procedures and concerned about the infamous French bureacracy frustrating my efforts at every turn, not to mention potential language problems but, thanks to the excellent advice I received on this forum, it was, in the event, a complete doddle, for both my cars.

Good luck

Thanks EY & SD for your help. 

Unfortunately my french is VERY basic (I mean VERY).  On our last trip, I checked the Yellow Pages and noted the Hotel des Impots - no address - just phone numbers (no point in ringing as I can't converse!)  On asking our French friends they said "Ah Tresoir Publique" - went there - NO - prefecture.  Ok.  Went there - NO - Hotels des Impots - WHERE?? In the village you live.  Went there - couldn't find one - only the Hotel de Ville.  Didn't get in there (Closed) - but do you think that this department may be in the Hotel de Ville???

My french friends have never heard of this certificate - but then again - they have never imported a car from the UK!!!!!!!!!

Thanks again in anticipation - What would I do without this forum??????