how to register my car in France - I am non-resident

rosebud

This may be an old question but I am hoping to register my 4 year old Toyota here in France.  How do I go about doing this and what are the costs?  This will lead onto car insurance here.  Any help would be greatly appreciated on both counts. Many thanks

From what I remember, you can have French car insurance on your English registered car for one year only, then you have to send your UK car documents off to the DVLA and report the vehicle as exported. They will, in turn, send you a certificate to state you've removed the car from the UK.

You need that new bit of paper to take to a particular office (can't remember which one exactly, but we know someone here is bound to know).

The cost of registration there depends on various matters I believe.. They had trouble with my old car, it wasn't listed.

You may find you'll need a few other forms of vehicle identification, like it's engine power (in horses if i remember rightly).

They wanted a full vehicle description from the manufacturer for my car   :(

The control technique (MOT) is pretty straight forward. You'll need that too.

Sorry i can't be of much more help.. this is all from memory  .

It's amazing that despite the number of times this subject is covered people still get it wrong [blink]

If a car is out of the UK for 6 month's in any one year then it must be registered in France. It doesn't matter whether you are resident or not.

When you take it out of UK tear off the exported slip from your V5 and send it to DVLA. You will not receive a certificate nor do you need one to register it here.

The process for registration is as detailed in the sticky.

When you get that all done you then have to get the car insured except it is not called insurance in France,it is called something else.You find a place which sells this and you go to them with the bit of paper(cannot remember the name)

with the car number on it that you got from the place (think something to do with a head boy or prefect) answer a lot of questions and pay money .They will then give you a green bit of paper which you put on the car windscreen.[:D]

[quote user="ErnieY"]If a car is out of the UK for 6 months in any one year then it must be registered in France.[/quote]

Unless it's in Belgium.

Sorry, but sometimes I can't resist these opportunities.

Seriously: the sticky says you will have to produce a utility bill, and I always assumed that the purpose of this is to show that you are indeed resident in France.   The OP is asking what to do if you are not resident in France - has his question been answered?  Or can you be resident anywhere and still register your car in France if it's kept in France?

Afaik, Allan, you do not need to be resident here, but you do need an address, which can be a property you rent and/or own over here.  But I've always wondered what happens if you don't have such a thing (perhaps you just spend long periods over here visiting friends etc) - what would constitute your address then and how do you prove it?

The OP's profile shows Lot et Garonne, so either he/she lives there or at least has a maison secondaire there.  On that basis, that is an address at which the car can be registered, with a utility bill as proof of address.

Anyone who doesn't have an address in France is unable to register their foreign vehicle here.