Renault Scenic what does this mean "Prevoir Revision"

JohnRoss

Bought a new Renault Scenic last October and was told the first service would be at 30,000km or one year. Have only done a bit less than 7000km so far. The last couple of days a spanner symbol and the message "Prevoir Revision" has been coming up and does not go out hiding the mileometer/odometer and the trip meter. I take it that the vehicle thinks it needs a service(How does it know this?) which it will get next month but meantime does anyone know how to cancel the warning display so miles, well kilometers, can be made visible again.............................JR

I have since found the message comes up every time I start the engine and that I can cancel the message but not the spanner symbol by pressing one of the two buttons on the right hand stalk. The spanner symbol does not flash but is there all the time. Having looked at a UK forum for Renaults I gather that UK models have the spanner flashing and the message "Oil Change" when it needs a non-urgent service and the word "Service" when it is a serious fault. Confusing! it would be good if someone having a French model could confirm this.......................................JR 

I have a UK model Laguna 2 and had the same warning come up after 6-7000mls and towards the end of its first year. The car mileage and usage-wise did not need a service but after checking with my garage, I had a service done. After the service I found out that there is a way to reset the alarm but you will need the Renault diagnostics laptop to achieve this. Best bet is to have a minor service with the reset being done. At least you have a stamp in the warranty book.

Aitch

I have a new scenic which is doing exactly the same thing at the moment. I paid a quick visit to the local Renault main dealer and was told to ignore it, unless, mine had done 15k kms, or mutiples of ( kms intervals depends on engine type) , or was a calender year from the date I purchased it. If I understood correctly it depends on when the computer was last reset, which could mean my car was in the showroom or holding yard for 1 month or so after its delivery inspection before I collected it.

If in doubt ask, then there would be no problems the warranty.

If it is coming up to a year since the last service, an oil change is recommended, particularly if, like the original questioner, you do a fairly low mileage. If you get it done at a Renault dealer, or another garage with the right equipment, the system will be re-set. Just ask for 'vidange'. I generally take my (English) Renault to our local dealer in France for oil changes, which works out more economical than going through the main dealer service routine at home.

If I understood correctly it depends on when the computer was last reset, which could mean my car was in the showroom or holding yard for 1 month or so after its delivery inspection before I collected it.

Great just what I was looking for. I know that my car was being held elsewhere for sometime before we purchased so it is quite likely that the computer had been reset sometime before I took delivery. In which case it would suggest the on-board computer is linked to a clock, and of course it would be, and that it is recording hours past since the last service and maybe other factors as well. Either way I will put it in soon. Does suggest the showroom I got it from did nothing to it other than polish it!......................................JR

I take it Paul that your spanner light is not flashing but on as I describe and that the message Prevoir Revision is there every time you start after the oil level message goes out?

Hi JR, I have had 2 Citröens since we arrived here. One a C8 and now a C4. The first thing that I did was to change the display language to English. Also I managed to blag an English owners manual from Citröen France. They were very helpfull [:D]

If you ask at the Renault garage they should be able to tell you if the language can be changed and I would be surprised if it can't. Then if you get on to Renault France and give them a sob story about your technical French being very poor they may well post you an English manual. After all, the worst answer you can get is no?

Edit :- As a matter of interest the C8 manual was in DUTCH [:-))]! That's where I bought it !!!

I've had two Reanults from new in France and seem to remember that there is a first service at around 7000kms for an oil change/checkup and then thereafter services at around 30,000kms. Personally I get oil changes done in between service intervals as I beleive 30000kms is too long, (but only for the first 100, 000Kms or so).

Regarding the spanner symbol - hold down the odometer reset button for about 10 secs and the spanner will reset to ( probably 30,000kms). It does on both of our Renaults, and then counts down !

[quote user="JohnRoss"]

If I understood correctly it depends on when the computer was last reset, which could mean my car was in the showroom or holding yard for 1 month or so after its delivery inspection before I collected it.

Great just what I was looking for. I know that my car was being held elsewhere for sometime before we purchased so it is quite likely that the computer had been reset sometime before I took delivery. In which case it would suggest the on-board computer is linked to a clock, and of course it would be, and that it is recording hours past since the last service and maybe other factors as well. Either way I will put it in soon. Does suggest the showroom I got it from did nothing to it other than polish it!......................................JR

I take it Paul that your spanner light is not flashing but on as I describe and that the message Prevoir Revision is there every time you start after the oil level message goes out?

[/quote]

Exactly, but mine added 'rapidment' last week, but no worries it is booked in today [:D] I did try to reset it, ie pushing stalk buttons in every order, but nothing I did reset it.

One question does anyone have a new model Scenic (after 2006 I think) and has changed the digi speedo to display mph ? (just for UK visits) I read on other forums that with the Espace and possibly the Laguna it can be done with holding down stalk buttons and pushing the start button, again doesn't work on mine.