Sat Nav so frustrating......!!!

jxedwards

We bought one in UK and the first time we used it here in France we ended up getting lost, our fault as we did not do exactely what was instructed. We used it going to Charles de Gaulle airport to collect family and it was wondeful and I can honestly say that we would have never in a million years have located the hotel we were staying at but it took us right to the door...wonderful gadget. It is nice to have another woman in the car to talk too as well, although she deviates from the subject I am talking about all the time.   

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="Sunday Driver"]My trusty Michelin Tourist and Motoring Atlas helps me identify the primary route destinations on my way, then I just follow the big green road signs which take me on the optimum route with no intervention of illogical computer suggested 'short cuts'.  When I'm near my destination, the local signs tell me where to go.[/quote]

You mean, you know where you're going and how to get there?

SD, you're missing half the fun.

allanb, you're right.  In fact, some of the nicest places we've found in France have been serendipitous discoveries when we'd got lost and didn't know where we were!

Mind you, the night we were giving someone a lift to a table d'hote for dinner and it was piddling down and we arrived 2 hours late was another story.  Everyone else was there before us and we felt completely stupid as well as tired and anxious and guilty!

I thought I might throw this in.

I have used a map and I have used Sat Nav. The latter is not always perfect but then maps can also be wrong (new roundabout, one way system, dual carriage etc) and like any device needs to be kept up to date.

Those that have knocked' GPS systems, have you ever tried one? If you have not then why take such a negative stance? I suspect that it's because you have either seen a TV report or read an article somewhere about a persons bad experience when in fact the amount sold and the people who are more than happy with their purchase (I mean like millions), by far outstrip the complaints.

Some of the errors are down to idiot drivers with little or no intelligence. I remember a news item about an Arctic lorry stuck on some tiny bridge somewhere or another, the GPS was ridiculed on the TV. The fact that the bridge was in the back and beyond, had a weight limit of 3 Ton and was obvious to all, even from the TV pictures, that it was far too narrow for an Arctic lorry surely points to the gross stupidity of the driver in his/her attempt to cross it.

I don't mean to sound stroppy but at least either try one then draw a conclusion or if not then don't give an opinion on hearsay or something you know nothing about.

I shall now climb back in my trench, put my helmet on and stand by for incoming [;-)]

As I said I love the TomTom we have. It is one of the cheaper versions but I now don't know how we lived without it. Driving to and fro from France and the UK is brilliant to me. I sometimes miss when the speed limits change and it always alerts me when I exceed it even if it is only a few kilometre stretch on the motorway. I am still in awe of how it works. I also love the fact that I can find hotels and supermarkets along the route, otherwise I would have never found or known about the location of the Campanile on the other side of Paris in the direction of Boulogne last week.

By the way, as I mentioned in my previous post I used it to go to an area just outside of London to pick something up yesterday that I bought on Ebay. It was on a busy road but took me directly to the front door of the persons house. I would have struggled to find this driving on my own trying to follow the map and look for the house signs.

Personally, I cannot praise TomTom enough.  By the way, I am in no way connected to TomTom. [:D]

• 2 weeks later...
You know apart from traffic density I never have understood what the problem is with Rouen. Strategically timed i.e. before 07:00 heading South and after perhaps 19:00 or a tad later the other way and never had a single problem. Definately never been held up by roadworks [;-)]

I have just taken delivery of my new mobile phone and it is supplied with CoPilot 7.

As a user of Tomtom I naturally have made comparisons and for anyone who make think of getting CoPpilot so far I have noted

Tomtom cleverly guesses when you travel through tunnels and can route immediately if your exit is at the end of the tunnel. CoPilot losses sat lock and stops until it gets the sat fix back, On one journey yesterday it completely missed the exit at the end of the tunnel which meant a long re-route. Not impressed at all.

Good point for CoPilot, it changes to night colours automatically at a pre set time.

[quote user="teapot"]

I have just taken delivery of my new mobile phone and it is supplied with CoPilot 7.

As a user of Tomtom I naturally have made comparisons and for anyone who make think of getting CoPpilot so far I have noted

Tomtom cleverly guesses when you travel through tunnels and can route immediately if your exit is at the end of the tunnel. CoPilot losses sat lock and stops until it gets the sat fix back, On one journey yesterday it completely missed the exit at the end of the tunnel which meant a long re-route. Not impressed at all.

Good point for CoPilot, it changes to night colours automatically at a pre set time.

[/quote]

I had version 6 of CoPilot running on my PDA with a bluetooth external GPS receiver. It was good but I also lost position when driving through Tunnels or in built up areas (Toulouse for example). My biggest grip was the inaccuracy of the maps in that they would quickly be out of date. I don't know if it has changed but there were no free updates like there are with the TomTom. You basically have to buy a whole new product every year (not just the maps) although as an existing user you do get a discount. I have to say that I do like TomTom better. The newer TomToms, well mine anyway, change brightness as it gets darker.

The other company that puts GPS Maps in to phones is Tele Atlas. I believe you need to have a Micro SD slot for the application and maps

Update tomtom vs CoPilot

Just changed the copilot micro sd for the tomtom version in the new phone.

Tomtom is much faster in operation, Copilot would be better if it said turn right at the juction you have just passed [:D]

However, on my xda orbit 2 aka htc phone with copilot you can scoll around the maps with ease a bit like the handles on google maps also zoom in and out with the touch screen so that is a bit more impressive.

I have heard that tomtom version 7 is on its way.