french car not in my name, back to Uk?

Bones

Okay so the title might not be all that clear...

If I bought a used car privately in, say, Callais, and wanted to drive her more or less immediately back to the UK via the chunnel, what's the procedure?

The reason I ask is that I live in the south of france and don't fancy driving all the way back down just to register the car in my dept, then drive all the way back up just to get back to the UK!

I'm assuming the seller marks the CG 'for export'. Will they let me through customs? Will I be legal? Will my insurer (got a small car that I'm leaving here) insure me?

Any info much appreciated except "why not fly?", "why not buy one down south?" etc please: suffice to say I have my reasons!

Cheers.

You are simply buying a second hand car from someone, so the buyer just hands you the carte grise and certificat de cession as normal.  You then have one month in which to register the change of ownership with your local prefecture.  During this period, both you and the car are totally legal. Your insurance company should be able to offer immediate cover, normally conditional upon you producing your new carte grise upon your return from the UK.

Cheers SD.

So, just to confirm, I could travel to the UK in the car without being stopped at the border (so to speak)?

I just thought you might only be able to do that with some kind of trade plate arrangement.

Would it be like having the tear off from a V5 whilst awaiting the new V5 from the DVLA?

I wonder, hypothetically speaking, if I could register it in the UK without ever having registered it in my name in France??

I'm guessing the guy would need to sell it to me marked as 'for export' in that case?

Sorry for all the questions, it's been forced on by personal circumstances and I'm just hastily reviewing my options.

I dare say that they have number plate recognition cameras at the tunnel - do not know if the French have a system that links reg details, insurance and MOT/CT together.

I understand that, in the UK some insurers are slow to register details.

However, I would think that you will just go through with no problem - keep the cg and insurance certificate with you.

Paul

Hi Bones

I have done something similar, if not exactly the same. 

When we moved to France in 2006, we didn't want to bring our RHD car over, so found a dealer in the UK who bought second hand LHD cars and sold them on.  On the Friday before moving on the Monday we brought off him a Belgian plated LHD car.  (in Belgium , number plates are for life, so it was fitted with temporary Belgian export plates and he had a Carte Grise in his name). One of the good things about these plates is they come with an minimum automatic insurance cover for up to two months, as long as the driver/owner has signed the form.

He obviously gave us a bill of sale, and on the Monday we left England and arrived in France the next day.  A month later we registered the car here (in our name), using the Carte Grise (in his name) and the bill of sale no problem.

Hope this helps.[:D]

M

[quote user="Bones"]Cheers SD.

So, just to confirm, I could travel to the UK in the car without being stopped at the border (so to speak)?
I just thought you might only be able to do that with some kind of trade plate arrangement.

No reason to stop the car at the border.  The car is on French plates and you'll have all the necessary documentation for it.

Would it be like having the tear off from a V5 whilst awaiting the new V5 from the DVLA?

Different system in France.  The certificat de cession is proof you are the new owner of the vehicle and the carte grise will be marked 'vendu' with the date.

I wonder, hypothetically speaking, if I could register it in the UK without ever having registered it in my name in France??
I'm guessing the guy would need to sell it to me marked as 'for export' in that case?

The guy will just sell it you as a normal car and he will inform his prefecture that he's no longer the owner.  It's then up to you what you do with it afterwards - register it in your name or export it.  As long as you have the original French registration document, proof of change of ownership and proof of a UK address, then the DVLA will register it for you

Sorry for all the questions, it's been forced on by personal circumstances and I'm just hastily reviewing my options.

[/quote]