Are cars too powerful?

Théière

I've been a petrol-head for most of my life, Drag-racing, sports cars, fast motorcycles etc, etc.

Last year I bought our first diesel car (non of our friends could believe it), an Audi A4 and I now enjoy unbelievable fuel economy, more than adequate performance and it's not smelly or even noisy.

We've still got the old Jeep (4 litre petrol) but now think twice before we use it.

An interesting comparison given that both vehicles have the same size fuel tank (70 litres)

Audi consumption = 700+ miles per tankful

Jeep consumption= 275 miles per tankful

It's a bit of a no-brainer really.

I've still got my bike, of course, but what with law enforcement (income generation) and ever-rising fuel costs the days of the 'mad-blat' have mostly gone.[Www][:D]

The future of motoring in general looks pretty bl**dy boring............................

I'd still give my right arm for an R8, of course.........................[:)]

Ah, a road going R8, that would be rather good!

It can't be long before the bike manufacturers follow Enfields lead, and try diesel, my money is on Honda having a large muliti-cylinder diesel bike on the market soon.

Wonder if it would go in a road going Radical?

Years ago I was part of a team that had a Perkins dieselised Rover V8 in a Westfield chassis with a 10 speed stepper box. Designed to run on Rape seed oil, synthetic oil etc etc. Had an entry into the Snetterton 24 hours, but it was turned down! I like to think we were ahead of the game!

Problem with the CO2 debate is the argument gets confused between  capacity and horse power.Normally aspirated and injected cars need a bigger capacity and higher revs to make good power but are "dirtier".We could all be driving a 1 litre car with forced induction(turbo/supercharged, preferably both) to provide more than enough power whilst still being economical and reasonabley clean

[quote user="Bugbear"]

The future of motoring in general looks pretty bl**dy boring............................[/quote]

Too much power is never enough![6]

I hope Bugbear is wrong, but way too many actually do believe that cars are an "eco problem"... and they are NOT.   They are an easy target for the GREed  and ENvy brigade, and every so called Green initiative is instigated by eitherof those motives., be it governments, manufactures, cities, or those who haven't got a 4x4, Mercedes, etc etc....[:(]