Registering vehicle in France - our experience!

trastu

[quote user="Madeira Jon"]Same as the UK. You cannot have two different makes of tyre on the same axle, they will have different treads, characteristics, speed limitations etc etc.  Also, in the UK the spare, if present, has also to pass the MOT. That's just in case people have been away from the UK for some time and didn't realise the change in MOT legislation.

[/quote]Sorry Jon, you're talking tosh in regard to UK. The only changes recent changes to the MOT are those brought about by the computerisation of the system.

The definitive information can be found HERE

[quote user="trastu"]

We have just been through the process of re-registering our Landrover Discovery here in France.  I must admit it was something we had been dreading and putting off for as long as we possibly could.  But for anyone out there who needs to register their vehicle and is dreading it as much as we were I felt compelled to let them know that it was (for us, anyway) in fact EASY to do.  From beginning to end (ie actually having the new number plates on the car) the whole process took exactly 1 week!! and this included obtaining a certificate of conformity from the DRIRE database.

[/quote]

What did you do about changing the UK headlights?

[quote user="Panick"]

Les, I'm not convinced it would pass. In the original problem 'Seems that of 5 tyres, all of which were in good order, no two matched.' We don't know the makes/types from the information given, but it does look rather unlikely, as no axle could have the same type of tyre on both sides.

[/quote]

Panick

My car passed with different makes on both front and rear axles and i also asked the question (after getting the cert of course[6]) the tester showed me the regs that Les kindly posted a link to.

Have a good look at them and scroll down as there are more underneath, different construction is a no-no as is inadequate speed rating and even "usure irreguliére" (as I described earlier) but different marques and even speed ratings (as long as they exceed the minimum) are permissable.

• 2 weeks later...

I am in the process of registering a 13 year old Range Rover (3.9 v8 petrol I know that's bad). I am worried by the cost of obtaining the Carte Gris, I believe I will incur a huge immatriculation charge and an even bigger Ecotax charge of 2,600 Euros introduced in January of this year. It is not a 're-register' in as much that I have bought the car from a dealer in England, so presumably it is dealt with as a first registration. Are you able to say how much it cost for your Dicovery? I have completed the CoC, Control Technique, import quittas fiscal document and insurance steps but am very alarmed by the visit to the Prefect! 

Thanks Ernie, whilst 690 is a lot it is an awful lot better than 2600! Will suggests that as the car is over 10 years old the charge may be cut by 50%. Is 690 50% or do you think I might be looking at 345? (I am an optimist!).

No doubt your Ford main agent could order them for you but expect to pay their list price. You'll be very unlikely to source LHD headlights from a breaker's yard in the UK.

Many people seem to say that they can sometimes get them second hand on eBay France or from a local scrapyard.

• 2 months later...
I have just re-registered a 1969 2CV van (originally French, of course) back in France. What took ages was getting the certificate of conformity from Citroen (nearly four months, but at least they didn't cash my cheque until they finished). After that I got the CT, the carte grise, and the new plates all in one day. The carte grise took ten minutes - no-one else in the prefecture today. No complaints about officialdom then. It was private enterprise that was slow!