No Registration Documents

Charlotte3

Hello there,

Can anyone tell me if it's possible to re register a UK car without any registration documents.....we've been offered a really good UK reg car, but they can't find the documents for it. It has been in France for the past 4 years.

I suspect not, but I would love to be proved wrong.

Thanks in advance,

Charlotte

Its possibly simple, but this assumes the owner is/was the regitered keeper and they still have access to the address where it was registered in UK. All they have to do is fill out the relevant form and apply for a duplicate V5C, paying the small fee this requires.

If they have sold the house etc and no longer have access to the registered address, they will need to go to a DVLA local office with proof of identity etc, and re-register the car at a current UK address and obtain a new V5C that way.

Every official body, be it the DVLA or the French prefecture, will strongly caution against buying a vehicle that has no registration papers.  As per BobT, the vehicle could well be stolen and you'd end up losing both the car and the cash you paid for it.

Follow Dave's advice and get the seller to obtain the proper replacement papers for it otherwise I'd advise you to walk away from the deal.

Think about it - he's had the car here on UK plates for four years.  Has he encountered problems registering it and is he just trying to offload it....?