UK Car UK Insurance Longer than 90 Days

jxedwards

It is our intention to drive in to our place in mid June and stay until early October this year in our UK registered & insured fully leagl vehicle.

However my present insurer (Elephant) only insure up to 90 days and will not extend this (even for a fee) to cover the additional 20/35 days extra that we will require.

I have tried the usual confusedgocomparecheapoinsurance.com but these sites it seems (to me) that it is impossible to 'input' my requirements.

I am hoping someone can suggest

1) An insurance company that may cover the vehicle for the additional days only

2) An insurance company that will insure the vehicle in France for the amount of time required. obviously I will have to cancel my existing and take out a new policy.

Thanks in advance

John

I can vouch for Saga, I went with them a few years ago, so far so good, I queried what cover there was for France and they said 364 days a year; a little more expensive some other quotes but that's Saga not their European cover which I seem to remember is 'inclusive'.

Thanks all for replies. Not yet ready for Saga 2 years off that option. Footman James only state 35 days on their policy. Cornhill direct seems the way to go.

Going to visit local broker this week. Will keep you posted of the outcome.

John

All UK insurance policies will automatically provide minimum cover for mainland Europe as a matter of course. The 'allowable days' from your UK insurer, typically 90 - and take note, not always a continuous 90, are for the same level of cover

that you enjoy there, presumably comprehensive. If you exceed those

days then you do not cease to be insured but your cover drops to the

minimum  level required by the country you are in, in most cases this will broadly equate to what we know as 3rd party.

It's up to you whether to accept that risk or not for the additional period.

My present insurer is 90 days max 30 day trips. However they did inform me that if I stayed longer than 30 days it was ok providing a telephoned to inform them. Seems odd to me. However they will not extend longer than 90 days which is what I require.

The problem I am having is either poor email response or left hanging on the 'helpline' nos for 20/30 mins then getting routed to a person 'outside' the UK who really does not understand what I am enquiring about as my enquiry is non routine and not available under their standard answers list a presume. The joys of modern automated life!!!

The quest continues....watch this space.

I can recommend S. Collins &Co.   I was insured with Stuart Collins for over 18 months when I worked here in France and had a UK registered & MoT'd & taxed car. 

The car was written off in an accident here, and the insurance company paid out with no problem, and even sent a transporter from UK to my rented house to fetch the wreck after S. Collins  had sent me the settlement cheque (so no question about they didn't know where I lived).   Note that the insurance company did want the V5 and the MoT certificate, so cheapskates who don't bother to tax & MoT their UK registered cars here in France may find they won't get paid out if they claim... but that's no different to UK.

This insurance is not the cheapest, but it does what it says on the label, as they say.

Good Luck