Timescale for registering - problem

martyng

I have a small problem coming up.  I am about to purchase a new LHD car from Citroen UK (good deals currently and cheaper than new in France) but delivery will be about 4 months i.e. could be September.  We are moving to France at last for good at the beginning of July which means in the mean time carrying on with the old car (UK reg).  I cannot work out from the various comments on the forum etc whether you have one month or three months before requiring to register your car in France.  Can some kind person please enlighten me with the proper time scale - and any advice on what to do in this interim?  It could be 2 months while I am resident in the country, but unwilling (?) to register my current UK car for that short time before part-exchanging it for the new one.  

If you are French resident it is one month from the date you became so, effectively that is when you moved with the intention of living here.

The 3 months you sometimes hear quoted is a nominal period that you may need/take if you have to go through the DRIRE with a non homologated vehicle. Technically you shouldn't really be driving it beyond the 1 month but if you are actively in process you should be OK.

In all other case the maximum period is six months before registration is required or the vehicle is removed from the country.

EDIT: Certain exceptions can apply in the case of bone fide students and one or two other categories of visitors.

Martyng

Be sure to order your new Citroen VAT free for export.  The dealer will organise everything for you including the VAT forms and export registration.  Then when you bring the car to France, you visit your local tax office and pay the French TVA.  They will issue you with a Customs certificate permitting you to drive the car here for a month on its UK export plates whilst you complete the registration formalities.